President Éamon De Valera attends a ceremony at the Mansion House Dublin marking 50 years since the Anglo Irish Truce in 1921.
The fiftieth anniversary of a truce between Great Britain and Ireland during the War of Independence is commemorated at the Mansion House. It was there on 8 July 1921 that a truce was agreed to bring an end to the hostilities on 11 July.
President Éamon de Valera unveils a plaque to mark the 50th anniversary since the signing of the truce. The president was greeted by the Army Chief of Staff, Major General Delaney, and the OC Eastern Command, Co. James H Byrne as well as a guard of honor of 100 troops under the command of Captain D Hearns.
The unveiling of the plaque was accompanied by a roll of drums and a fanfare of trumpets by musicians of the Army No 1 Band.
The event was also attended by the Taoiseach Jack Lynch, politicians, dignitaries and survivors of the War of Independence.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 10 July 1971. The footage shown here is mute.