'The Aviary', a pub on Canon Street, Dublin's shortest street, is to be demolished to facilitate road widening works.
Canon Street in Dublin city centre is to be demolished. On the corner of Bride Street and close to Saint Patrick’s Cathedral, the street’s single building, ‘The Aviary’ pub, will be knocked down to facilitate road widening works at Bride Street. The other part of Canon Street became part of Saint Patrick’s Park in 1904.
Inside ‘The Aviary’ pub men examine birds in cages, while another group of men stand outside on Canon Street. For many years Dublin’s Bird Market took place in an alley to the rear of the pub.
An RTÉ News report broadcast on 9 June 1963. This footage is without sound.