Efforts to restore power, water after Ophelia continue

Updated / Friday, 20 Oct 2017 20:29

29,000 homes and businesses are still without electricity

The number of homes and businesses without electricity has fallen to 29,000 as efforts to restore power after Hurricane Ophelia continue.

The ESB has restored power to 356,000 customers so far.

The areas worst affected are in the south west, including Bandon, Fermoy and Dunmanway in Cork.

The ESB said it will be early next week at the earliest before power is fully back.

It is also warning that some crews may have to be stood down this weekend if Storm Brian makes it unsafe for work.

The communications company Eir has said that the number of customers without phone and internet connections has been reduced to 20,000.

Irish Water has reduced the number of customers without water to 1,000.

Cork is again the worst-affected county, with 470 customers without water there.

Meanwhile, the water supply will be shut off tonight and tomorrow night in parts of Westmeath to enable the water levels in the reservoirs to replenish following Storm Ophelia.

Irish Water and Westmeath County Council said: "It is necessary to shut off the water supply to allow the levels in the reservoirs to rise and to avoid further disruption to customers." 

The night-time shut offs at the Ballany reservoirs will be in place from 9pm until 7am.

The water supply from the main reservoirs to Castlepollard, Delvin, Fore, Coole, Raharney, Clonmellon and Ballinlough will be shut off and customers may experience low water pressure or a loss of water.