1. The Promoter is New Island Books (company no. 186067), whose registered office is at 2 Brookside, Dundrum Rd, Dundrum, Dublin 14, Ireland.
2. The competition is open to persons aged 18 years or over who are habitually resident on the island of Ireland. Proof of such residence may be required by the Promoter.
3. Employees of RTE and of the Promoter and anyone else connected in any way with the competition or with helping to set up or run the competition are excluded from the competition.
4. There is no entry fee and no purchase is necessary to enter the competition.
5. Only one entry will be accepted per entrant.
6. Entries must be original works of fiction in the English language of up to but no longer than 100,000 words in length. Entries must not have been previously published in any form (print or digital, traditional of self-published) or under any other name. Entries must not have been submitted previously to the Promoter. No illustrated works or picture books will be considered. Entrants must detail their name, address, telephone number and e-mail address together with the genre of the book and the word count.
7. Entrants must submit their 500 word synopsis and their first 50 page sample to email@example.com with "Competition Submission" in the subject line, between 16:00hrs on Friday 10th January and Midnight Sunday 25th January 2014. Entries must be submitted in MS Word format and by email. Printed manuscripts will not be accepted, nor will manuscripts contained on CDs or other storage devices sent by post.
8. The closing date for receipt of entries is midnight Sunday 25th January 2014. After this date no further entries to the competition will be accepted.
9. Unsuccessful entries will be destroyed.
10. Shortlisted entries will be contacted to supply full manuscripts by Midnight Friday 21st February 2014. Shortlisted writers who cannot supply a full manuscript by this date will be eliminated.
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
11. No acknowledgment of receipt will be send. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for entries not received successfully for any reason whatsoever.
12. The prize for the winner of the competition is as follows: A one book publishing deal contract with the Promoter, no advance, standard Irish publishing industry royalties. The Promoter will absorb all costs associated with publishing from editing, to cover design and print. Book to be published in 2014.
13. The Promoter is a service provider only and does not take any legal responsibility for the content of the winning entry.
14. The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any entry if the entry criteria are not met, or if the entry contains defamatory, illegal or offensive material.
15. The Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any law or regulation or any other event outside of the Promoter's control
17. One winner will be chosen by an independent panel of judges appointed by the Promoter.
18. The decision of the panel of judges is final.
19. First the shortlist, then the winner will be announced on the RTE Today show. She or he must be available to appear on the show at a time or times agreed with the show's producers, and must also make themselves available to be interviewed by representatives of the RTÉ Guide, if required. The winner agrees that their book can be included in all media and social media as deemed appropriate by the Promoter
20. The Promoter's decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into. RTÉ DOES NOT HAVE, NOR TAKES, ANY RESPONSIBILITY (LEGAL OR OTHERWISE) FOR THE COMPETITION.
21. The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by Irish law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Republic of Ireland.
22. The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material created by the Promoter, by RTÉ or by the RTÉ Guide. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current Irish data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party (OTHER THEN RTÉ) without the entrant's prior WRITTEN consent.
23. The Promoter reserves the right to change the title of the winning manuscript prior to publication.
24. By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have indicated their acceptance of and agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.