Maura and Sheana Cook!
Friday, 21 May 2010
Derry Clarke L'Ecrivain
Kevin Dundon, Dunbrody House
Maura's Brown Bread
This bread will be served with smoked salmon, capers and a lemon mayonnaise.
. 1 cup plain flour
. 2 cups wholewheat flour
. ½ cup bran
. 1 tsp bread soda
. Pinch salt
. Butter milk
. 1 egg
1. Lightly grease the loaf tin with melted margarine and dust out with whole wheat flour.
2. Sieve the plain flour, bread soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
3. Mix in the rest of the dry ingredients.
4. Make a whole in the middle.
5. Pour in butter milk and mix.
6. Add one egg and mix again.
7. Turn the dough out on to a table or board already dusted with flour and knead lightly.
8. Pat the dough into a round loaf. Brush the top with a little beaten egg or milk, and dust with whole wheat flour.
9. Bake for 45 minutes at 200C
. 2 egg yolks
. 3/4 teaspoon salt
. 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
. 1/8 teaspoon sugar
. Pinch pepper
. 4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar
. 1-1/2 cups olive or other salad oil
. 4 teaspoons hot water
1. Beat yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a small bowl until very thick and pale yellow.
2. Add about 1/4 cup oil, drop by drop, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in 1 teaspoon each lemon juice and hot water.
3. Add another 1/4 cup oil, a few drops at a time, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in another teaspoon each lemon juice and water.
4. Add 1/2 cup oil beating constantly, then mix in remaining lemon juice and water; slowly beat in remaining oil.
5. Cover and refrigerate
Sheana Cooks Spatchcock Chicken
Spatchcock Chicken served with Vichy Carrots and Potato Wedges
. 1 free range chicken
. 1 head of garlic broken into cloves
. 2 tsp thyme leaves(or you can use marjoram or rosemary)
. 1 lemon
. Olive oil
Preheat oven to 180C 350F Gas 4
1. Place chicken breast side upon a chopping board
2. Insert chopping knife into the cavity and push knife all the way up to the neck
3. Press firmly down and cut all the way through the backbone
4. Open chicken out as much as possible until it looks collapsed on the chopping board
5. Slash drumsticks and thighs 3 or 4 times.
6. Place chicken on a wire rack and fit into roasting tray
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Scatter garlic cloves and thyme all over the chicken
9. Tuck some of the herbs and garlic into the cuts on the meat.
10. Drizzle with olive oil and squeeze some lemon juice over.
11. Place in oven and roast for 40 to 50 minutes until fully cooked and crispy.
12. Serve with garlic cloves and cooking juices, wedges of lemon and garnished with thyme or parsley.
. 1 pound of carrots peeled and thickly sliced if large or whole if small
. 4 fluid oz cold water
. Large pinch sugar
. Pinch of salt
. ½ oz or 15g butter
. 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or mint or coriander
1. Place carrots in water along with butter salt and sugar,
2. Bring to the boil
3. Cover and cook on a gentle heat until tender.
4. If all water has not evaporated by the time the carrots have cooked, remove lid and boil further to achieve a butter glaze. Shake pan gently to coat the vet in the glaze.
5. Slide into a hot serving dish and sprinkle with parsley
. 1kg potatoes
. Olive oil
. A few sprigs of rosemary
Preheat the oven to 220 C
1. Wash potatoes thoroughly
2. Chop into wedges
3. Place in a bowl and drizzle olive oil over to coat them.
4. Place on a baking tray and scatter some chopped rosemary over.
5. Bake until crispy