Low Cal Summer Recipes with Paula Mee
- Paula Mee makes Amalfi Style Prawns with Apple, Mango and Cranberry Salad on The Afternoon Show
- Paula Mee cooks Fillet of Beef with Harissa and Tomato on The Afternoon Show
Thursday, 20 May 2010
Paula Mee- Nutritionist
Total 181 + 127 = 308 calories
Total 6 + 6 = 12g fat
Amalfi style prawns
. 450g raw peeled prawns
. 50g dry wholemeal breadcrumbs
. 2 tbsp olive oil
. 2 garlic cloves, crushed
. 12 mint leaves chopped
. Lemon wedges to serve
. Crushed cashew nuts optional for seasoning
. Soak the 20 wooden skewers.
1. In a bowl, marinate the prawns in the olive oil, garlic, most of the mint for one hour at least.
2. Put the grill on medium heat.
3. Thread four or five prawns onto each skewer.
4. Spread the breadcrumbs on a board and press the skewered prawns into crumbs.
5. Put the skewers on a lightly oil-sprayed baking sheet and then under the grill for around 3 minutes, until the crumbs are golden and the prawns pink.
6. Watch closely as they cook quickly.
7. Scatter remaining mint over and some crushed cashew nuts for extra texture.
8. Serve 5 per person with lemon wedges.
. Per serving (without nuts)
. 181 calories
. 6g fat
. Serve with apple, mango and cranberry salad
. 1 red eating apple, chopped
. Juice of one lemon
. 1 ripe mango, chopped
. 8 celery sticks, chopped
. 3 spring onions, chopped
. 100g black seedless grapes, halved
. 2 tbsp low fat Greek yoghurt
. 1 tbsp salad cream
. 1 tbsp dried cranberries, scattered over the top
. 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, scattered over the top
1. Cut apple and add lemon juice. Add chopped mango, spring onion, celery and grapes.
2. Mix the yoghurt and salad cream and add to bowl.
Sprinkle over the cranberries and seeds and serve.
. 127 calories
. 6g fat
Fillet beef with Harissa and Tomato
Total 220 + 250 = 470 calories
Total 15 + 15 = 30g fat
. 4 small fillet steaks 75grams each
. 2 tsp harissa
. 1 tsp olive oil
. 1 tsp dried oregano
. 250 g cherry tomatoes
Heat oven to 200c or 180Cfan/gas 6
1. Place beef on roasting tray and rub in the harissa, oil and oregano.
2. Cover with foil and roast for 10 minutes.
3. Then remove foil, add tomatoes. Roast for another 10minutes more until the tomato skins start to split and the chicken is cooked through.
Serve with Simple Greek salad
. 1 cucumber, peeled , deseeded and chopped
. 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
. 4 large vine tomatoes cut into wedges
. 85g feta, in chunks
. 20 Kalamata olives
. 1 teaspoon chopped oregano
. 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Place all ingredients in a large bowl, season, and serve.