Stylish Summer Recipes with Lorraine Fitzmaurice
- Watch Lorraine Fitzmaurice Courgette and Feta Cakes with Beetroot Tzatziki on The Afternoon Show.
- Watch Lorraine Fitzmaurice make Stuffed Aubergine Rolls with Cheese Mash on The Afternoon Show.
Thursday, 13 May 2010
We are forgetting about the nut loaf for today and Lorraine is going to whiz up some stylish seasonal vegetarian treats that everyone can enjoy, meat eater or not!
A lot of the ingredients Lorraine is using today are very much in season, like beetroot, pea shoots and aubergines.
Lorraine Fitzmaurice- Blazing Salads
Courgette and feta cakes with beetroot tzatziki and pea shoots
. 4 courgettes
. 6 scallions, sliced finely
. 2 cloves of garlic, minced
. 4 tablespoons of plain flour
. 120g feta cheese
. 3 free range eggs, separated
. fresh mint, finely chopped
. fresh dill, finely chopped
. 2 large beetroot
. 500g thick natural yoghurt
. 1 large clove of garlic, minced
. Dessertspoon of finely chopped fresh mint
. Squeeze of lemon juice
. Extra virgin olive oil
. A packet of pea shoots
1. Grate the courgette. Place in a colander and sprinkle with a little salt. Set aside to drain the liquid.
2. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
3. Over a medium heat warm a little extra virgin olive oil.
4. Cook the scallions for 2 minutes and add the garlic.
5. Squeeze any excess liquid from the grated courgette and add to the scallions. Season with a little salt and pepper.
6. Cook until the courgette stats to golden. Remove from the heat and let cool a little. Beat the egg yolks and add the flour, crumbled feta, a dessertspoon of fresh dill and a dessertspoon of fresh mint and mix well.
7. Add the cooked courgette mix. Stir in the stiff egg whites.
8. Make the tzatziki. Peel and finely grate the beetroot. Place in a bowl along with the yoghurt, mint, garlic. Season with sea salt.
9. Add the lemon juice and olive oil to taste.
10. Heat sunflower oil in a pan and drop heaped dessertspoons of the mix into the oil. Shallow fry for 3 minutes until golden and turn the cake gently and cook the other side. Lift gently from the pan and drain on a plate with some kitchen towel and continue until all the mix has been used.
11. Place 3 courgette cakes onto a plate. Dot the tzatsiki around them. Drop some pea shoots around the plate a drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
Reasons to try pea shoots:
. They are versatile: eat them hot or cold, in a salad or as a tasty ingredient in other dishes.
. They are good for you: 100g of Pea Shoots have seven times more vitamin C than blueberries and four times more vitamin A than tomatoes.
Stuffed aubergine rolls with cheese mash drizzled with black olive tapenade
The Aubergine Rolls
. 2 aubergines
. 2 courgettes
. 6 plum tomatoes
. 2 red onions finely diced
. 3 cloves of garlic, minced
. 2 tablespoons of fresh basil
. 4 teaspoons of tomato puree
. 2 tablespoons of capers
. 300g (10oz) mozzarella cheese
. 3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
. 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
. a little balsamic vinegar as garnish
. sea salt and milled black pepper
. 5 large floury potatoes
. 100ml milk
. 125g mature vegetarian cheddar cheese
Black olive tapenade
. 175g (6 oz) pitted black olives
. 2 tablespoons of capers
. 2 clove of garlic, minced
. 150ml (5 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
1. Wash the aubergines and remove the stalk. Slice lengthways into 8 thin slices 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick.
2. The very outer slices chop into small cubes for the filling. Preheat the oven to Gas 5, 375 F, 190 C. Place the slices of aubergine flat onto an oiled baking tray. Brush the slices with olive oil and season with a little salt.
3. Bake for 10-15 minutes until soft. Wash the courgettes and chop into small cubes.
4. Score a cross at the base of the tomatoes and place in boiling water for 3 minutes. Rinse under cold water and remove the skins Chop the tomatoes into small cubes and chop the red onion into small pieces.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add the onion and over a medium heat, cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, courgette, cubes of aubergine and the tomato. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree, capers and fresh basil. Stir well and season with salt and pepper.
6. Drain the mozzarella and slice very thinly. Lay the slices on top of the roasted aubergine slices. Place the stuffing mix on top of the mozzarella. Roll up the aubergine and place in an oven proof dish keeping the overlapping pieces at the bottom. Brush each of the rolls with olive oil. Season the breadcrumbs and sprinkle on top of the rolls.
7. Peel the potatoes and chop into large pieces and place in a pot and cover with water. add a good pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer until cooked, approx. 20 minutes.
8. Place the prepared aubergine rolls into the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes.
Black Olive tapenade
9. Place the olives, capers and garlic into the food processor. Pulse for a few minutes. With the motor still running pour the oil slowly into the olive mix to create a smooth consistency.
10. When the potatoes are cooked drain the water and mash the potatoes until smooth. Add the milk and butter and beat until you have a nice creamy mash. Stir in the grated cheese. Cover with foil and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
11. Place a disc of smooth mash on the plate. Place the rolls on top and drizzle the tapenade over and around the mash. Lightly drizzle with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar and serve.