Mid Week Treats with Louise Lennox
- Watch Louise Lennox make Cherry and Almond Nougat on The Afternoon Show
- Watch Louise Lennox make Lemon Fizz Pops on The Afternoon Show
Wednesday, 14 April 2010
Cherry and Almond Nougat
. 8oz Whole blanched almonds, toasted
. 4oz Pistachio nuts shelled, roughly chopped
. 2oz Glace` cherries, rinced,dried and halfed
. 8oz Granulated sugar
. 2 Tablespoons Glucose syrup
. 4floz Water
. 4oz Clear Honey warmed
. 2 Egg whites, stiffly beaten
. 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
. 2 Sheets Rice paper( eating paper)
1. Mix almonds, Pistachios and glace cherries together.
2. Place the sugar, glucose syrup and water in a heavy based saucepan and heat gently, Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Dip a pastry brush in water and brush down any sugar crystals from the sides of the pan.
4. Bring to the boil without stirring until the temperature reaches 280oF on a sugar thermometer.
5. Stir in the warm honey then continue to boil until a temperature of 290oF is reached.
6. Immediately pour the syrup in a thin stream on to the egg whites, beating constantly with a electrical whisk.
7. Add in the vanilla extract, nuts and cherries. Beat the mixture for 5 minutes or until the nougat begins to thicken.
8. Pour into a 7x11inch shallow tin lined with rice paper. Spread the nougat into the tin and place a second sheet of rice paper on top place something heavy on top to knock out any air bubbles. Then leave over night.
9. Remove the weight and cut the nougat into bars or squares. Wrap in waxed paper and store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Lemon Fizz Pops
. 2 Cups Granulated sugar
. 2/3 Cups Glocuse syrup
. 3/4 Cup Water
. 1 teaspoon Lemon extract
. 1/2 teaspoon Yellow food colouring
. 1 teaspoon powdered citrus acid ( available in chemists)
. 1 packet of sherbets
1. In a large heavybased saucepan mix together sugar,glocuse syrup and water.
2. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
3. Bring mixture to the boil without stirring. When syrup temperature reaches 260oF add the colour. Do not stir,
4. Boiling action will incorporate the colour into the syrup.At 300oF remove from heat, when boiling action stops add in the flavouring, citrus acid and stir.
5. Take great care doing this as very hot steam may rise.
6. In a small 12 hole silicone mould sprinkle the sherbert. Carefully pour in the syrup.Allow the set slightly then put in a lolli pop stick then remove when completely cold.