Eight to Plate with Oliver Dunne
- Watch Oliver Dunne make a Fillet of Plaice with Minted Peas and Smoked Bacon on The Afternoon Show
- Watch Oliver Dunne make Gratinated Soft Fruit with Peanut and Hazelnut Crumble and Passion Fruit Crème Fraiche on The Afternoon Show
Thursday, 8 April 2010
How many times have you come in from work and opted for a microwave meal because you just don't have the time to cook dinner? Imagine you could prepare, cook and serve up a nutritious dinner for all the family in 8 minutes! We have our top chefs in for the challenge with the clock ticking to prove it can be done.
Oliver Dunne - Head chef of Bon Appetit
Fillet of Plaice, with minted peas and smoked bacon lardons
. 4 Plaice fillets
. 1 Large onion (diced small)
. 20g Butter
. 1 Splash white wine
. 1/2pt Fish stock
. 1 Bag frozen petit pois
. 1 Bunch mint
. 125g Crème Fraiche
. 1 Baby gem lettuce
. 100g Smoked bacon lardons
1. Sweat the onions in the butter for 1 minute add the white wine and reduce until its nearly evaporated, add the fish stock and continue to boil until it is reduced by half.
2. In a separate pan fry off the bacon lardons until golden brown and strain off excess fat.
3. Add the lardons to the reduced fish stock.
4. Heat up a large frying pan and cook the Plaice fillets 1-2 minutes either side.
5. Put some off the peas into the fish stock and cook for 1 more minute then add the crème fraiche, some chopped mint to taste and finally some of the sliced Baby gem lettuce.
6. Season with some salt and lemon juice and serve the plaice on top.
Gratinated soft fruit with peanut and hazelnut crumble, passion fruit crème fraiche
. 25g Peanuts
. 25g hazelnut
. 30g butter
. 50g sugar
. 35g flour
. granny smith
. 10g sugar
. ½ Vanilla pod
. small tub crème fraiche
. passion fruit
. 500g mixed soft fruit e.g.: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches, kiwis, Clementines etc.
1. Firstly blend the nuts in a small food processor and add the rest of the crumble ingredients.
2. Pour the mix onto a tray and bake at 220c for 5 minutes turning occasionally.
3. Grate the Granny Smith, scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and place in a small pot with 10g sugar and 1tbs water. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes until soft, then blend until smooth.
4. Spoon the apple mixture into the bottom of each serving dish.
5. Cut the desired fruit up into bite size peaces and arrange on top off the puree.
6. At this point a little of the crumble should be sprinkled over the top and each dish should be placed under a hot grill for 1-2 minutes so the fruit warms up.
7. Lastly cut the passion fruit in half and mix the seeds with the crème fraiche and spoon on to the top when serving.