Beat the Chef
Thursday, 25 March 2010
Oliver Dunne - Head chef in Bon Appetit
Sharon Mc Cormack
Favourite chefs are Nigella Lawson and Jamie Oliver. She loves to cook curries and steak. She loves watching The Afternoon Show. Sharon keeps fit by running a few times a week and going to the gym every day! She likes to travel and lived in Austria for some time when she worked in resorts.
Gorgonzola and Goats Cheese Risotto with Apple and Caramelised Walnuts
. 250g Arborio rice
. 500ml Chicken/vegetable stock
. ½ Small onion (diced very small)
. 1 Garlic clove
. Olive oil
. 2 Crunchy red apples
. 100g Gorgonzola
. 100g Goats cheese
. 25g Grated parmesan
. 1tbls butter
. 2tbls cream
. 1tbls picked marjoram leaves
. 50g Walnuts
. 10g Icing sugar
. 1tsp Balsamic vinegar
1. Bake the walnuts in a frying pan in a pre-heated oven at 180c for 4 minutes to release the natural oil within the nuts. When hot remove the pan from the oven and dust with the icing sugar tossing them around constantly until they are evenly coated, the icing sugar should melt and caramelise around the nuts. Continue to toss and add the balsamic, then pour onto a tray and leave until serving.
2. Cook the shallot and broken garlic clove in olive oil over a low heat with a little salt ensuring it doesn't colour. When soft add the rice and continue to fry for 1 minute before adding some of the heated stock. Gradually add the stock in stages stirring occasionally until the rice is just cooked and has a creamy texture.
3. Beat in the cream, butter and parmesan then add the diced Gorgonzola, goats cheese and apple and leave to sit for one minute to allow the cheese to melt. Just before serving adjust the consistency with a little more stock if required and season. Top with some caramelised walnuts and the picked marjoram leaves.
Tagliatelle with Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce
. Bought Fresh Pasta (Tagliatelle)
. 1 Leek
. 4/5 Cloves of Garlic
. Diced Bacon
. Half tub of Garlic and Herb Cream Cheese
. Half Cup of Milk
. Carton of Cream
. Cashel Blue Cheese
. 1 Fresh Baguette
. 2 Large Cloves of Garlic
1. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil add pasta and cook for 3 to 4 minutes,
2. Drain and add some black pepper and a knob of butter stir well and set aside.
3. In a large frying pan saute, Bacon, Leeks , Garlic and Mushrooms,
4. Add pasta and stir well. add extra seasoning if required.
5. In a saucepan melt the cream cheese in milk, when mixed without lumps add
6. cream and stir well, slowly crumble cashel blue cheese into mixture stiring all the time,until mixture is successfully combined. * Add cashel blue to personal taste!
7. Add cheese sauce to pasta and fold in well.
8. Serve with some fresh chives to garnish and 2 pieces of garlic bread.
9. Slice some baguette, add crushed garlic to butter mix and spread generously on bread on both sides. Grill and serve with pasta.