Restaurants with improved Healthy Kids Menus!
Tuesday, 23 March 2010
So far, the following restaurants around Ireland have received one of our 'Improved Healthy and Tasty Kids Menu' stickers! They were awarded a sticker after submitting their kids menu to The Afternoon Show with details of their healthy choices. They have also agreed to follow the guidelines as recommended by Paula Mee. These guidelines can be seen under the list of restaurants.
1. Stonecutter's Kitchen Family Restaurant, Luogh North, Doolin, Co. Clare
2. Mongolian Barbecue,7 Anglesea Street, Dublin 2, Co. Dublin
3. Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa and Country Club, Tullow, County Carlow
4. Eastern Seaboard Bar & Grill, Drogheda, Co. Louth
5. The Cornstore Restaurant, 19 Thomas Street, Limerick
6. Back stage at Bels, Church Road, Greystones, Co. Wicklow
7. The Kitchen at KC Peaches, Unit 10A, Trinity Enterprise Centre, Pearse St. Dublin 2
8. Gallaghers of Bunratty & J.P. Clarkes Country Pub, Bunratty, Co. Clare
9. The Cornstore Restaurant, 40 Cornmarket Street, Cork
10. Chatham Brasserie, Chatham Street, Dublin 2
11. Bella Vista Bar & Bistro, Strandhill, Co. Sligo
12. The Lakeside Hotel, Killaloe, Co. Clare
13. Frankie's Steakhouse & Grill, Temple Bar Square, Temple bar, Dublin 2
14. An Seanachai Bar & Restaurant, Pulla Ring, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford
15. West Restaurant at, The Twelve Hotel, Bearna Village, Co. Galway
16. Essink Restaurant, No. 2 Hibernian Way, Mallow, Co. Cork
17. Sushi King, 13-17 Dawson Street, Dublin 2
18. The Olde Castle Bar & Red Hugh's Restaurant, Donegal town
19. Lakeside Café at Lough Key Forest and Activity Park, Boyle, Co. Roscommon
20. The Old Mill Bar & Restaurant, O'Brien's Bridge, Co. Clare - mentioned
21. Clanard Court Hotel, Athy, Co. Kildare
22. Fuchsia House Restaurant, Ardee, Co. Louth
23. Maldron Hotel, Oranmore, Co. Galway
24. Town Bar & Grill, 21 Kildare Street, Dublin 2
25. The Rising Tide Restaurant, Glouthaune, Co. Cork
26. Bodega Restaurant & Winebar, 54 John Street, Waterford city.
27. Healthy Habits Café, Quarantine Hill, Wicklow Town.
28. Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, La Marine Restaurant, Rosslare, Co. Wexford
29. THE GATE RESTAURANT, 32 Trimgate Street, Navan, Co. Meath
30. Lohan' s Bar & Restaurant. 232-234 Upper Salthill, Galway
31. The Farm - Dawson Street , Dublin 2
32. The Bayleaf Restaurant, No.71 Main Street, Mallow, Co. CORK
33. Meyler's Millhouse Bar & Restaurant, Tacumshane, Broadway, Co. Wexford
34. Beaufield Mews Restaurant, Stillorgan, Co.Dublin
35. Vittos restaurant, Bridge Street, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim
36. The Kitchen and Foodhall, Portlaoise, Co Laois
37. Lannigans Steakhouse, Quality Hotel Killarney, Cork Road, Killarney, Co Kerry.
38. Ely CHQ bar & brasserie, Custom House Quay, Dublin 1
We have agreed to improve our Kids Menu to make it healthy and tasty by following these guidelines:
To offer more balanced meals to include foods from each of the following food groups: Carbohydrates (rice, pasta, potato or grains - wholemeal or whole grains where possible), Protein rich foods (lean meat, fish, chicken, turkey, beans), Dairy (low fat milk, cheese and yoghurt where possible for children over 2 years of age and above), Fruit & Vegetables (fresh, frozen or tinned in its own juice)
To avoid offering free sugary drinks with the menu and have healthier alternatives on offer such as water, smoothies or 100% juices.
To avoid high-fat, high salt or high sugar processed foods, instead opting for more fresh ingredients and to endeavour to cook by poaching, baking or boiling.
To use more herbs and spices for seasoning instead of salt. To avoid adding salt at preparation, cooking or serving.
To reduce unnecessary added sugar in recipes where possible and substitute with fresh, tinned or dried fruit.
If restaurants must fry certain foods, they must use a good quality vegetable oil (containing less than 12% saturated fat). Oil must be changed regularly to avoid hydrogenation.
To provide any sauces, dressings and gravies on the side.
To use higher fibre options in the cooking process and to include at least one
vegetable or fruit with each dish.
By displaying 'The Afternoon Show Improved Healthy & Tasty Menu for Kids' sticker, this restaurant has agreed to follow the recommended guidelines. These are recommended guidelines only and RTE and Green Inc Film & TV Ltd have no control over the implementation of any or all of these guidelines in any restaurant in which this sticker is displayed ("participating restaurant") and RTE and Green Inc Film & TV Ltd make no warranties or representations as to the quality of any participating restaurant's menu or its service standards (including but not limited to its adherence to all applicable food, hygiene and health & safety regulations) or whether such recommended guidelines have been or will be properly implemented by such a participating restaurant.
In no event will RTE and Green Inc Film & TV Ltd be liable for any injury, illness, loss or damage as a consequence of any person(s) eating in or entering any participating restaurant.