Beat the Chef - Chickpeas
- Derry Clarke cooks Seared John Dory with Spicy Chickpeas and Chorizo and Orange Crème Fraiche on The Afternoon Show
- Seema Daly cooks Chickpea Curry on The Afternoon Show
Thursday, 11 March 2010
We have been appealing to the public for someone who thinks they can go up against our chefs with their recipe.
But who will be the winner? Can they beat our chef!?
Our crew and official judge will be the judge of that and they will taste both dishes.
There is only one rule, we will give both Viewer and chef an ingredient that they need to include in their recipe, for example , If we give them chocolate, they can cook or bake any chocolate dish they like.
The ingredient for today is chickpeas
Today we have selected Seema Daly from Clare to go up against our chef Derry Clarke. Seema Daly thinks her chickpea curry will beat Derry's
This theme will run every Thursday for The next 4 weeks
Who are The Guests?
. Derry Clarke L' Ecravain
. Seema Daly
Seared John Dory with spicy chick peas & chorizo orange crème fraiche
. 4 fillets John Dory
. 1 cup chick peas (soaked overnight) and boiled for 30 min
. ¼ teaspoon Cumin powder
. ¼ teaspoon Cardamom powder
. ½ teaspoon sweet paprika powder
. ¼ teaspoon fennel seed powder
. ¼ teaspoon coriander powder
. 1 Shallot peeled and diced
. 1 clove garlic crushed
. 8 cherry tomatoes halved & dried
. Juice of half a lemon
. 50 ml olive oil
. Bunch of Basil (handful) shredded
. 2 tablespoons diced chorizo
. 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
1. Heat a large pan over moderate heat. Add the olive oil and sweat off the shallot & garlic for 30 sec. Add chorizo and cook for 1 min.
2. Add all spices & cook for 2 min; season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chick peas and simmer over low heat for 10 min; add basil & lemon juice.
3. Heat a non stick frying pan, add a little vegetable oil and cook fillets of John Dory for 2 min each side; season with salt & pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
4. 1 orange segmented and keep juice
5. 1 cup crème fraiche
6. Mix orange segments and crème fraiche together and add half the juice.
Chick Peas Curry
. 250g Boiled Chick Peas
. 125g chopped Tomatoes
. Small piece fresh Ginger
. 1 x tbs. Tomato Puree
. 1 x tsp. Garam Masala
. ½ x tsp. Chilly Powder
. 1 x tsp. Turmeric
. 1 x Large Onion
. 3 x cloves of Garlic
. 1 x tbs. Vegetable oil
. 1 x tsp. Cumin seeds
. 125 ml Water
. 1 x tsp. Salt
1. In a saucepan heat the vegetable oil with the cumin seeds until they start to become brown. Add the finely chopped onion and cook until golden brown.
2. Add the finely chopped Ginger and garlic and stir. Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add all the spices and stir well. Leave for 1 minute. Add the boiled chick peas and water and bring to the boil.
4. Turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Serve garnished with chopped fresh coriander leaves, along with boiled or fried rice.
Quick Fried Rice
(Serves 4-6 people)
. 2 x mugs Basmati Rice
. 4 x Cardamoms
. 1 x tbs. Vegetable Oil
. 1 tsp. Cumin seeds
. Piece of Cinnamon (optional)
. 4 x mugs water
. 1 x tsp. Salt
. 4 x Cloves
. 2 x Bayleafs
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan with the cumin seeds and cardamoms. Add the cloves and salt and stir. And the rice and stir well.
2. Add 4 mugs of water, put on the lid and bring to the boil.
3. Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat before the water has disappeared completely and let it stand for about 5 minutes with the lid on.
. 250g Greek Natural Yogurt
. 1 x tsp. Mint sauce
. ½ x tbs. Garam Masala
. Pinch of Chilly powder
. ½ x Cucumber
. ¼ x tsp. Salt
. 1 x tsb. Lemon juice
1. Peel and dice the cucumber and place in a bowl with all the other ingredients. Mix thoroughly with the yogurt. Serve as a relish with any hot main dish.