Healthy Kids' Menus in Restaurants
Tuesday, 9 March 2010
Today we are visiting Kelly's hotel Rosslare, Co. Wexford which provides 'healthy kids' menus in its restaurant, as part of 'The Irish Hotel Federation's healthy menus for kid's initiative (food for kids). Our Nutritionist Paula Mee met the owner and chef of Kelly's hotel. Paula discussed with them how easy it was to improve their dishes to healthier options, the cost issues, the ingredient and cooking changes and the response from families.
Why is it Relevant Today?
This is the next part of our healthy kid's menus campaign. In the first week we visited the 4 nationwide restaurants with our 4 family reviewers and nutritionist Paula Mee. On Paula Mee's recommendations, our chef Richie Wilson advised our 4 chefs in the kitchen how to improve their restaurants dishes. Today we are showing an example of how successful the parallel Irish Hotel Federation's initiative to make kids' menus healthy in restaurants has worked. Paula will be chatting to Kelly's owner Bill Kelly and their chef Eugene Callaghan about why they changed their menu and the cost issues involved and how families have responded.
The Afternoon Show's Nutritionist Paula Mee has visited the 4 nationwide restaurants, overviewed the menus, cooking practices and cost issues. She has advised our chef Richie Wilson on the nutritional changes to make to one selected dish per restaurant. The Afternoon Show's Chef Richie Wilson worked with Paula on the menus and took her advice on changing the dishes ingredients and cooking practices for the chefs. He presented the new ingredients and ways of cooking the 4 dishes to the 4 chefs during a cook along.
Any additional information
Names of restaurants who have been awarded The Afternoon Show 'Improved Tasty and Healthy Menu for Kids' Sticker and Charter:
1. The Old Mill Bar & Restaurant, O'Brien's Bridge, Co. Clare
2. Clanard Court Hotel, Athy, Co. Kildare
3. Fuchsia House Restaurant, Ardee, Co. Louth
4. Maldron Hotel, Oranmore, Co. Galway
5. Bodega Restaurant & Winebar, 54 John Street, Waterford city.
6. Town Bar & Grill, 21 Kildare Street, Dublin 2
7. Healthy Habits Café, Quarantine Hill, Wicklow Town.
8. The Rising Tide Restaurant, Glouthaune, Co. Cork
9. Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa, La Marine Restaurant, Rosslare, Co. Wexford