Low Calorie Desserts with Louise Lennox
- Watch Louise Lennox cook up a guilt-free chocolate cake - all the taste with none of the calories
- Watch Louise Lennox bake an apple strudel - a tasty treat that's kind to the waist-line!
Friday, 5 March 2010
Louise Lennox, Pastry chef
Guilt-Free Chocolate Cake
Ingredients For Cake:
. 6 large Egg Whites
. 6 oz Caster Sugar
. 2 oz Self-Raising Flour
. ½ oz Cocoa Powder
. 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
. ½ Teaspoon Salt
. 1 Teaspoon Cream Of Tartar
Ingredients for Filling:
. ½ Pint Low Fat Milk
. 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
. 1 Tablespoon Caster Sugar
. 1 Tablespoon Cornflour
. Parchment paper to line two non-stick 10" round cake tins
1. Place egg whites in a clean grease-free bowl and add lemon juice and salt
2. Whisk until trebled in volume
3. Add in the cream of tartar and sugar
4. Sieve the flour and cocoa powder, twice and fold into the mixture spoon by spoon
5. Divide between the two lined cake tins and bake in pre-heated oven, 165oC for 30
minutes. Check that the cakes are cooked by gently putting a skewer or a knife into
the middle of the cake and if the skewer comes out clean the cakes are cooked.
6. Allow cakes to cool in their tins until cold. Then turn out onto a wire rack and remove
To Make the Filling:
1. In a saucepan put the cocoa powder, sugar and cornflour and whisk in the milk
2. Place over a medium heat, continue whisking until the mixture begins to thicken, when it starts to bubble cook for one more minute and remove from the heat.
3. Put one of the cakes onto a serving plate and pour half of the chocolate filling over it
and place the other cake on top. Pour the remaining filling over the top and sides of
the cake. Smooth with a palate knife and leave in the fridge for an hour before serving
Serves 6-8 - depending how generous you are!
Low Fat Apple Strudel
. 6 Large Granny Smith Apples
. 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
. 2 ozs Dried Cranberries
. 2 ozs Raisins
. 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
. 4 Sheets Filo Pastry
. Spray Oil - one calorie per spray variety
1.Peel and core the apples and chop into small chunks and place in a saucepan, add the sugar and cook over a low heat until the apples start to soften.
2. Stir in the cranberries, raisins and cinnamon and allow apple mixture to cool
3. Place one pastry sheet towards the top of a clean tea towel and spray twice with the spray oil then place the second pastry sheet slightly over lapping the bottom of the first sheet by 2" spraying again with the oil, repeat once more with the 2 remaining sheets of pastry.
4. Spoon the filling all over the pastry leaving a 2" border all around the pastry
5. Fold in the sides of the pastry and using the tea towel, roll the filled pastry up like a
6. Place on a lined baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven 200oC for 30 minutes
7. Serve while warm this is lovely served with low fat yogurt.