Beat the Chef
- Oliver Dunne cooks Pan Fried King Scallops with Puy Lentils on The Afternoon Show
- Mary Joyce cooks Mary's Marvelous Lentil Stew on The Afternoon Show
Thursday, 4 March 2010
Oliver Dunne - Head chef at Bon Appetit
Born in 1977 and raised on Dublin's Northside, Oliver Dunne has spent his career surrounded by award winning chefs - Conrad Gallagher, Gary Rhodes and Gordon Ramsay to name but a few. After taking over the helm of Bon Appetit in 2006, Oliver was awarded his own Michelin Star in January 2008.
Mary is a registered Nurse and also works part time in a health food shop. She is really interested in the benefits of healthy eating.
Mary is very active in the community, she is a member of the local poetry group, chairperson at the family resource center and was the organizer of the first galway food festival last year, where she organized lots of event 's such as a brown bread competition, trad bands and entertainment for families.
Her favourite chef is US chef Ina Garten but she also loves Rachel and Darina Allen.
Pan Fried King Scallops with Puy Lentils
. 300g king scallops
. 200g puy lentils(green lentils)
. 1 large carrot diced
. 1 shallot diced
. 1 celeriac diced
. 1 clove of garlic
. 1 bay leaf and thyme sprig
. 4 streaky rashers
. 1 chicken stock cube
. Splash of cream
. 1 tbls butter/ chopped parsley
. 1 lemon
1. Boil and strain the lentils 3 times. The forth time, just barely cover with water.
2. Add the carrot, celeriac, shallot, garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Add ½ chicken stock cube and simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
3. Strain and reserve the cooking liquid.
4. Place the cooking liquid into a clean pot and reduce until almost evaporated, adding the cream, continue to reduce with the lentils and the vegetables returned to the liquid until it becomes thick and coats the lentils.
5. Place the streaky rashers on a baking tray and cover with baking paper.
6. Place another baking tray on top sandwiching the bacon and cook at 160C for 10-12 mins until crisp.
7. Heat a small frying pan and add some oil, season the scallops and cook for 1-2 minutes a side until brown and cooked medium.
8. To serve, reheat the lentil mixture and finish by stirring in the chopped parsley and the butter to thicken.
9. Place the king scallops, crispy bacon and a squeeze of lemon juice on top.
Mary's Marvelous Lentil Stew:
. olive oil
. 1 chopped red onion
. 2-3 cloves of garlic
. 2 cups of mushrooms
. 1 chopped pepper
. 500-750 ml of vegetable or chicken stock
. 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
. 1 1/2 cups of red lentils
. Bunch of basil chopped
. Balsamic vinegar
. spices: black pepper, salt, oregano
1. Heat olive oil in pot and sautee the onion, garlic, pepper, and mushrooms.
2. Add spices add stock and tomatoes mix well, add lentils and bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
3. Add basil and balsamic vinegar simmer covered for another 15 minutes.