Meals in Under 30 minutes with Lorraine Fitzmaurice
- Watch Lorraine Fitzmaurice make Sweet Corn Pancakes on The Afternoon Show
- Watch Lorraine Fitzmaurice make Tuscan White Bean and Vegetable Soup with Rosemary Croutons on The Afternoon Show
Wednesday, 3 March 2010
Sweet Corn Pancakes with Avocado/Red Onion Salsa
. 180g plain flour (white spelt works well too)
. 350g fine polenta or cornmeal
. sea salt
. 1 teaspoon baking powder
. 125g sweet corn kernels
. 3 spring onion chopped fine
. 4 free range eggs, beaten
. 250ml creme fraiche
. milk, (enough to form a smooth thick batter)
1. In a large bowl sift the flour, salt and baking powder.
2. Stir in the cornmeal, and the spring onion.
3. Make a well in the centre and pour in the beaten eggs and creme fraiche and whisk until smooth.
4. Continue to whisk in enough milk until a thick smooth batter has been reached.
5. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
Make the Avocado and Red Onion Salsa
. 2 ripe avocados
. 1/2 a red onion diced
. 1/2 red chilli, deseeded and chopped fine
. a tablespoon of fresh coriander,roughly chopped
. lime juice to taste
. sea salt
1. Peel the avocados and remove the pip. Chop into small dice. Place in a bowl and add the other ingredients. Season with lime juice and salt to taste.
2. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Brush the pan with a little sunflower oil. Using a tablespoon - spoon 3 or 4 pancakes onto the hot pan. When golden brown, approx 3 minutes, turn over and cook the other side.
3. Serve warm with the salsa and a side salad of mixed leaves
Tuscan White Bean and Vegetable with Rosemary Croutons
. 1 medium sized onion, diced
. 3 cloves garlic, minced
. Extra virgin olive oil
. 2 medium carrots, diced
. 2 medium courgette, diced
. 2 sticks celery, sliced
. 1 (1lb) tin of chopped tomatoes
. 1 bayleaf
. Good pinch of dried basil
. 2 sage leaves
. 1 small sprig of fresh rosemary
. Sea salt
. Coarse ground black pepper
. Fresh parsley
. 2 (1lb) tins of butter beans
. 3 thick slices of sourdough bread or ¼ baguette, diced
. (good way to use up old bread)
. 2 cloves garlic, minced
. ¼ teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
. 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to Gas 5, 190 C, 375 F
1. Begin by boiling a kettle full of water, (to save time use boiling water for the stock).
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot, dice the onion and add to the pot with the garlic.
3. Saute for 2/3 minutes and add the celery, carrots, courgette, tomatoes, bayleaf, sage and rosemary.
4. Add 1 pint of boiled water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, place a lid on top and simmer for 15 minutes.
Make the Croutons
1. Cut the bread into bite size pieces. Place on a baking tray.
2. Chop the garlic and the rosemary very fine and sprinkle on the bread, pour the olive oil over the bread and herbs and toss well together.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 8/10 minutes until lightly browned.
4. Drain 1 tin of beans and blend until smooth. Drain the other tin and add both to the soup and stir well.
5. Thin the soup with boiled water if needed.
6. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with plenty of finely chopped fresh parsley.
7. Serve garnished with the rosemary croutons