Treats for your sweetie with Louise Lennox
- Watch Louise Lennox make a Chocolate Caramel Pie on The Afternoon Show
- Watch Louise Lennox make Strawberry Jelly with Mango Mousse on The Afternoon Show
Wednesday, 10 February 2010
Louise is going to show us some sweet treats for Valentines day. One will be a cake that you can give as a gift, the other a luxurious dessert you can make for your loved one if you're planning a special romantic dinner.
Louise Lennox- pastry chef
Cinnamon and ginger biscuits served with Strawberry jelly and mango mousse
. 500g Strawberries (frozen)
. 100g Caster Sugar
. 2 Leaves of gelatine
. 300ml Juice (use the juice from the cooked berries)
1. Place the strawberries and sugar in a heat-proof bowl, cover with cling film & place over a pot of simmering water.
2. Remove after 30 minutes and strain through muslin (use can also use a clean cotton or linen tea towel).Don't squeeze the cloth as this will make the jelly cloudy. Allow the juice to cool slightly until it is warm to the touch.
3. Soak the gelatine in cold water, after a few minutes the leaves will become soft & then squeeze off the excess water.
4. Add gelatine to the juice liquid. Stir until dissolved.
5. Pour into large dessert glasses. Place into the fridge to set. This will take a few hours.
. 3 egg yolks
. 2 ripe mangos
. 50g sugar
. 30g Honey
. ½ pt Double cream - semi-whipped
. 2 leaves gelatine
. 1 fl.oz water
1. Peel and dice mangos
2. Place in a small pot and add 50g sugar.
3. Cook until the sugar has dissolved and the mangos are soft.
5. In a small bowl whisk the yolks & remaining sugar over simmering water (this pasteurises the egg yolks)
6. Soak the gelatine in water for 5 minutes
7. When the yolks are pale and thick, whisk in the gelatine until dissolved
8. Fold mango puree into the egg mixture and then add the semi-whipped cream
9. Spoon mango mousse on top of the set strawberry jelly, and place in the fridge for 2 hours.
10. Serve with Cinnamon biscuits.
Chocolate Caramel Love Pie
. 4oz/110g Plain Flour
. 2oz/55g Chilled Butter - cut into cubes
. 1 Large Egg Separated
. 1-2 TablespsOONS Water
. Butter or margarine for greasing tin
. 9" Pie or Tart Tin
. 11ozs/300g Caster Sugar
. 3fl.ozs/75ml Cold Water
. 1 Large Egg
. ½ / 300ml Double Cream
Filling & Topping Ingredients
. 9oz/250g Roasted Almonds- with skin removed
. 3floz Sugar Syrup
. 8oz/225g Dark Chocolate 70%
. Heart shaped chocolates to decorate.
Method - Pastry
1. Sieve the flour into a bowl, add butter and rub with finger tips until it resembles breadcrumbs
2. Add egg yolk and 1 Tablespoon of water and use a fork to bind the pastry together
3. Turn onto floured surface and knead gently for about 2 minutes
4. Wrap in Clingfilm and put in the fridge for 30 minutes
5. Grease and flour tin roll out pastry and use to line the tin
6. Return to fridge for 20 mins, then place a sheet of Clingfilm, greaseproof paper or foil on top of pastry, fill with dried beans or rice and bake in preheated oven 180oC/350F/Gas Mark 4 for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Method for Filling
1. Place the sugar and water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil and continue boiling until it becomes a caramel colour
2. Turn down the heat and pour in the cream. BE CAREFUL WHEN ADDING CREAM NOT TO GET SPLASHED Whisk until smooth
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely
4. Whisk in the egg to the caramel
5. Put the almonds onto the bottom of the pastry and pour the caramel on top
6. Put onto baking tray and cook for 25mins at 175oC/330oF/Gas3 ½
7. When cooked, allow the tart to cool completely
8. In a bowl, break the dark chocolate into small pieces, add the sugar syrup and place over a saucepan of simmering water and melt the chocolate gently.
9. Pour over the top of the pie, allow to set then decorate with heart shaped chocolates.
This pie is lovely to serve as a SHOW STOPPER to really impress your friends!
It has wonderful textures, so is sure to please everyone.
. The pastry case can be made in advance and left in the freezer
. The caramel can be up to four days in advance, and left in the fridge
. The hazelnuts can be replaced with either pecan or macadamia nuts
. Milk chocolate may be used instead of white chocolate