Valentine's Dinner for Beginners with Kevin Dundon
- Kevin Dundon makes Pan Seared Scallops, Citrus and Chilli Butter on The Afternoon Show
- Kevin Dundon makes Turkey Escallops and Red Pepper Salsa on The Afternoon Show
Monday, 8 February 2010
Pan Seared Scallops, Citrus & Chilli Butter
Pan Seared Scallops
. 18 scallops (I like to remove the orange roe but that's a personal choice)
. 1oz/25g butter
1. Heat a large pan and add the butter until bubbling.
2. Lay the scallops out flat on a plate or chopping board.
3. Season the scallops with a little salt and black pepper.
4. Toss them into the pan and cook for 1 minute on either side on a very hot pan until golden brown. Add in a little butter now to get a nice glaze.
5. Allow to sit for a further moment and then prepare to serve.
Citrus & Chilli Butter
. 3oz/75g softened butter
. Zest of 1 lime
. ½ red chilli-very finely chopped
. 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander
. Mix all the ingredients together.
1. Using some parchment paper roll them into a long coil and refrigerate or freeze until required.
2. Serve the scallops on the plate. Top with a disc of citrus & chilli butter and top with some fresh rocket dressed lightly with lime juice and olive oil.
Turkey Escallops, Red Pepper Salsa
. 2 turkey escalopes (breasts beaten thinly between cling film to flatten them out)
. 75g/3oz plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
. 1 free-range egg, beaten with a little milk
. 110g/4oz fresh white breadcrumbs
. 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/400F/Gas 6.
2. For the turkey escalopes, place the seasoned flour onto a plate, the beaten egg into a bowl and the breadcrumbs onto another plate.
3. Roll each escalope first in the plain flour, then dip it in the beaten egg and finally in the breadcrumbs, shaking off the excess between each stage. Repeat this process with the other piece of turkey.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan, place the coated escalopes into the pan and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, and then place in the oven for 10 minutes or until completely cooked through.
5. Serve the turkey escallops with red pepper salsa and some crisp green vegetables.
Red Pepper Salsa
. 1 medium sized red onion
. 2 Garlic cloves-crushed & chopped
. 4-5 basil leaves
. 4 ripe plum tomatoes
. 3 ½ flozs/100ml Olive oil
. 1 Fresh red chili
. Juice of ½ lime
. 1 Red pepper
1. Deseed the red peppers and cut into very fine dice.
2. Cut the red chili into small dice also and add to the red pepper.
3. On a hot pan cook the red peppers for a little less than a minute-Just to soften them ever so slightly but be sure not to over cook them as they tend to disintegrate and loose their vivid colour. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool.
4. Chop the red onions into small dice.
5. Quarter and deseed the tomatoes. Chop into small dice also.
6. When the red pepper and chili mixture have cooled, add in the diced red onion and plum tomatoes, crushed garlic. Tear the basil leaves into the mixture also.
7. Season the mixture with a twist of black pepper.
8. Pour on the olive oil and lime juice and mix well.Store in the fridge until required.
You can store this product in your fridge for three days.