Sequins whatever your vintage!
Friday, 4 December 2009
Tanya Grimson is a Fashion stylist based in Dublin. Since graduating from London college of Fashion and working in leading publications such as Marie Claire in London she returned to Ireland to pursue her career as a fashion stylist.
Tanya has been actively working as a stylist in Ireland for 10 years and has worked for various publications such as The Gloss, Irish Tatler, Sunday Independent's Life Magazine, U Magazine, Confetti, VIP magazine, The Irish Times, Social and Personal and the RTE Guide, she has also worked as the Deputy Editor of Prudence magazine and was the Fashion Editor of Ivenus, Harmonia's online magazine and is currently the Fashion Editor of Irish Brides magazine.
Commercial clients include: Samui boutique, Sasha, Diffusion boutique, heatons, Peruzzi, Pulse accessories, Dunnes Stores, Michael H, Simply B, Oxendales, Applebe jewellers, Mad Flowers, Aer Lingus, Airwaves, Pulse, Lucinda Grey, Tricot Marine, Club Rugby, Dylon, Sheseido, House of Colour,
Tanya has also worked as a fashion journalist for publications such as Prudence, Ivenus, Irish Brides and The Irish Times and is currently involved in fashion production for many of her clients.
Models:- Hannah, Faith, Brid
Sequins, although eternally associated with the festive season, was actually one of the major stories on the runways for A/W. So now, more than ever, the high street is awash with sequins in many shapes and forms. From the more subtle matte sequins, to the full on bling in golds/silvers and every jeweled colour under the sun, there is certainly something to suit everyones age, budget and taste.
Designers who featured sequins in their A/W collections were Gucci, Matthew Williamson, Calvin Klein, Stella McCartney, Jason Wu, Moschino, Balmain,
Marc Jacobs, Derek Lam, D&G, Giles, Nina Ricci, Antonio Berardi, Phillip Lim, Proenza Schouler, Marios Schwab, Peter Pilotto, Erdem, Prada, Marni, and Lanvin- essentially the entire fashion community!
How to wear sequins
1. If you plan on wearing sequins, let your outfit be the jewelry for the night, sequins have that much sparkle, you don't really need to accessorise.
2. Also remember that if you're wearing a full on sparkly dress, you won't need to go overboard on shoes or bag- these should be kept plain and simple.
3. If you want to wear sequins in daytime, your best bet is to layer them with other, more casual fabrics. Wear loose sequin tops with cotton vest either over or under to create a less structured look.
4. De-construct hair and make-up so that the look isn't overdone for daytime so hair and make-up should be kept natural.
5. If you're on a budget, sequins is a great choice for taking one piece from day to night. The same sequin top can be worn casually with jeans/flats during the day and more structured with a skirt & heels in the evening.
Celebs wearing this look:-
Celebrities who carry off the sequins look with great panache include Kate Moss, Anja Rubik, Daria Werbowy, Lara Stone, Beyonce, Rachel Bilson and Lindsay Lohan.
Hannah- Age 16
Beret €2 at penneys
Sequin t-shirt dress €50 at Debenhams
Gold sequin leggings €13 at penneys
Black sequin pumps €23.50 at Debenhams
Hannah look 2
Stripe long sequin vest €20 at dunnes
Silver sequin waistcoat €15 at dunnes
Cuff €52 at coast
Black sequin leggings €12 at dunnes stores
Silver sequin pumps €6 at dunnes stores
Faith- Age 30
Sequin long cardi €72 at warehouse
Boobtube dress €130 at warehouse
Glitter tights €6 at dunnes
Sequin ankle boots €25 at dunnes
Faith look 2
Sequin dress €72 by red herring at Debenhams
Polka dot tights €8 at marks and spencer
Cuffs €38 each at coast
Clutch bag €125 at Karen millen
Shoes €250 at Karen millen
Brid - Age 60
Sequin shrug, €42 at Debenhams
Blue blouse €50 at coast
Black necklace €52 at coast
Black sequin skirt €110 at coast
Shoes €175 at Karen millen
Brid look 2
Sequin cardigan €175 at Karen millen
Necklace €20 at marks and spencer
Wide leg trousers €160 at Karen millen
Red shoes €45 at marks and spencer
Clutch €70 at coast