Dinner Dilemma's - Lemon & Blueberry Pancakes / Cheese & Onion Omelette / Pan Fried Lamb Chops
Monday, 28 September 2009
Later in the show Kevin is put to the challenge again!
Along with the weekly shopping list, we will also be setting Kevin an extra challenge. We will be encouraging viewers to phone, text, twitt or email in four ingredients they have in their cupboard or fridge.
In return, Kevin will select one viewers list of ingredients and cook a dish up with them. In this sense it really is a last minute challenge and we will have someone on standby in the shops to grab the ingredients he chooses to use.
Kevin Dundon Proprietor of Dunbrody House
Kevin Dundon is the Chef/Proprietor of Dunbrody Country House Hotel & Restaurant, located in Ireland's sunny South East. Dunbrody was established in 1997 by Kevin and his wife Catherine and has very quickly become a must-see for all foodies.
It is now considered to be one of Ireland's Premier Hotels & Restaurant. Kevin's runs a cookery school at the hotel as well which already recognised as one of the most respected in the country.
Dunbrody is a member of Small Luxury Hotels of The World and Ireland's Blue Book. The hotel has won numerous awards including Restaurant of the Year 2004, 2005 & 2006, Chef of the Year in the Food and Wine awards 2004, 2005 & 2006, Andrew Harper's Grand Award 2001 for the best Hideaways in the World, Irish Bacon Dish of the Year 2000, Country House of the Year 2001 (Georgina Campbell's Hotel Guide) , Country House of the Year 2001 (National News Paper) Evening Herard RAC Gold Ribbon Award & Three Dining Awards and Red Chateau for the Michelin Guide, to name just a few.
Kevin will cook the following 2 brunch recipes from the weekly planner:
Lemon & Blueberry Pancakes:
. 8oz/225g plain flour
. Pinch salt
. 2 large eggs
. 250-300ml milk
. Grated zest of 1 lemon
. 3oz/75g blueberries
1. In a large mixing bowl sieve the flour and the salt together.
2. Break in the two large eggs and whisk continuously whilst adding the milk until a smooth batter has been achieved. The batter is quite thick-much like the American drop scones.
3. Add in the grated lemon zest at this stage also together with the blueberries.
4. Mix thoroughly until combined and then transfer into the fridge to rest until required.
5. Meanwhile heat a pan until quite hot.
6. Add a little oil or butter to the pan and then spoon in the pancake batter in small batches.
7. Allow to cook for about a moment or two on either side until they are nice and golden brown.
8. Allow extra time if the pancakes are thicker.
Cheddar Cheese & Onion Omelette
(2 omelettes should be enough for 4 people)
. 3 large free range eggs
. 2 tablespoons pouring cream
. 1 teaspoon freshly chopped parsley
. ½ onion-diced
. 2oz/50g grated cheddar cheese
1. In a mixing bowl whisk the three eggs in a bowl with the chopped parsley and a little salt and pepper.
2. Heat a pan with a little oil or butter on the pan and cook the onion until it is golden brown and then add in the whisked up eggs and cream.
3. Cook them over a high heat whisking continuously until the mixture begins to set slightly.
4. Leave it to set for a moment, spread with a portion of the cheese and then fold the omelette over in half and sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese.
5. Pop it under a preheated grill for 30 seconds to melt the cheese and then serve immediately
Pan Fried Lamb Chops with Stir fried Cabbage & Broccoli
with Salt & Pepper Wedges
. 4 lamb chops
. 1 small head cabbage
. 1 small head broccoli
. 4 tablespoons soy sauce
. 1 tablespoon honey
. 4 large potatoes
. Salt & Pepper
Salt & Pepper Potato Wedges:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
2. Wash some rooster potatoes and cut into chunky wedges.
3. Drizzle with a small amount of oil and some sea salt & cracked black pepper
4. Mix them all together in a bowl and place on a baking tray lined with parchment.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until crispy and well cooked through to the centre.
Cabbage & Broccoli Stir Fry:
1. Chop the cabbage and broccoli into smaller pieces and heat a large wok with a little butter or oil.
2. Add the broccoli and cabbage and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes until just beginning to soften.
3. Mix the honey and the soy sauce together in a bowl and add this to the vegetable mixture.
4. Cook for a furthur 3-4 minutes and season lightly with some salt and pepper.
Pan Fried Lamb Chops:1. Heat a large pan with a little oil or butter.
2. Cook the lamb chops on both sides for approximately 5 minutes until they are cooked to your liking.
3. After this 5 minutes each side they will be medium
4. Serve the lamb chops on top of the cabbage stir-fry and with the salt and pepper wedges.