Mackerel fillets with blackberry with Derry Clarke
- Derry Clarke makes Blackberry Sabayon on The Afternoon Show
- Derry Clarke makes Brown Bread Crumble with Blackberries and Yoghurt on The Afternoon Show
- Derry Clarke makes Seared Sliced Mackerel Fillets with Blackberry Vinaigrette and Orange Crème Fraiche on The Afternoon Show
Tuesday, 8 September 2009
With blackberries plentiful in hedges and shops now, why don't you make them your late summer choice.
Why should we eat blackberries?
. Rich in vitamins A and C
. delay the age process
. help lower the risk of heart diseases.
. help strengthen the blood vessels in your body.
Lots of people have started growing their own veg and fruit as we get more frugal with our resources.
Today we are going big on up blackberries with three interesting recipes!
. 2 Punnets of Blackberries
. 2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
. 50g of Butter
. 1 Vanilla Pod
. 1 Glass Crème de Cassis
. 8 Egg Yolks
. 2 Tablespoons of Caster Sugar
. 1 Glass of Marsalla or Sweet Sherry
1. For Sabayon. Put a pot of water on, bring to boil and turn down to simmer. Get a bowl that will fit over top of pot and add yolks, caster sugar and wine. Whisk until it's light, pale, fluffy and the mix holds a figure of eight. (Be careful not to scramble).
2. In a separate pot, add sugar and butter and melt together. Then add crème de cassis and vanilla pod and whisk all together. Add blackberries and cook until liquid just comes to boil.
3. Add blackberries in a dish. Spoon over Sabayon and then gratinate under grill until golden brown. Serve Immediately.
Brown Bread Crumble with Blackberries and Yoghurt.
. ½ Loaf of Stale Brown Bread
. 200g Brown Sugar
. 50g Hazelnuts
. 50g Flaked Almonds
. 50g Pecan Nuts
. 500ml Greek Yoghurt
. 100ml Honey
. 1 Punnet Blackberries
1. Blitz up brown bread. Put on a baking tray with brown sugar mixed in. Bake for 10 minutes at 130°C until the bread is crispy when cooled. Roast Nuts until golden brown and add into brown bread mix.
2. Mix yoghurt and honey. Layer yoghurt, crumble and black berries in a glass until full. Top with more crumble.
Seared sliced mackerel fillets with blackberry vinaigrette & orange crème Fraiche
. 8 mackerel fillets ( pinboned)
. 1 punnet black berries ( cut in half)
. 2 tablespoons of curry powder (or spices of your choice)
. 4 table spoons crème Fraiche
. Juice ½ orange and rind
. 2 table spoons olive oil
. 2 table spoons of red wine vinegar
. 2 table spoons brown sugar
. 1 table spoon chopped chives
1. Coat the mackerel fillets with the spices not on the skin just the flesh. Heat a non stick pan , add a little oil and place mackerel skin side down. Cook for 3 to 4 min till skin is crispy.
2. Turn fish and cook for 1 to 2 min more. Season with salt and pepper and remove.
3. Add wine vinegar and sugar into a sauce pot, heat till sugar is dissolved , add blackberries , cook for 2 to 3 min, add olive oil.
4. Mix crème Fraiche, orange juice, rind and chives season with salt and pepper and serve with nice salad