Party Lashes With Makeup Artist Donna Fitzpatrick
Wednesday, 17 December 2008
We're getting you all a flutter with the lash looks that will perfect your party make up!
If you've ever struggled with false lashes and gave up when they ended up halfway down your cheeks then worry not, we'll have your lashes long and luscious just in time for the festivities.
Donna will be showing us how the apply the 3 main types of lashes that are available and how not only to apply them properly, but also how to take them off!
1. Strip Lashes
2. Individual Lashes
3. ¾ Length Lashes
From fine to fashion, funky to full- on fierce, whatever the required look, fake lashes have recently moved from the remits of make- up accessory to make- up necessity...and with very good reason. Far from looking fake (or at least only looking as fake as you want them to) false lashes can finish a look to perfection. Every woman knows how long, dark, luscious lashes can perfectly define the eyes- well forget messy, clumpy, lumpy mascara, which, to be honest, can only do so much and look instead to an amazing range of fake lashes now available on the market.
Donna Fitzpatrick MBA, MA, B.Sc. (Trinity College Dublin) CIBTAC
Creative and dynamic, Donna has amassed almost two decade's experience in the international cosmetics arena, where she experienced both the creative and business side of the industry.
Donna has trained as a make- up artist in New York, London and Milan. She built her reputation in New York where she worked as a chief make- up artist for Laura Mercier for the tri- state area, working on seasonal looks and various special events and promotions. She was also on the creative team of Estée Lauder New York, where she trained the national trainers and make- up artists of one of the largest make- up houses in the world.
While in New York, she worked alongside the world masters including François Nars (launching his brand at Saks 5th Avenue), Laura Mercier (at Laura Mercier launches and promotions) and Bobbi Brown (at various couture shows), indeed even being personally trained by Laura Mercier and François Nars.
She has acquired vast experience as a runway make- up artist and her list of famous cosmetic conquests include supermodel Tyra Banks and many other well- known models at New York couture shows, such as Donna Karen, Dana Buckman and Isaac Mizarhi. Donna played a key part in launching Nars Cosmetics in Saks of 5th Avenue and also the global launch of Estée Lauder's Pleasures for Men.
Upon returning to Ireland she took residency as manager of Bobbi Brown in Brown Thomas. She has done the make- up for numerous magazine covers, including Rosanna Davison, Glenda Gilson, Kathryn Thomas, Fran Gosgrave, Ryan Tubridy, Craig Doyle and a host of other Irish models, celebrities, TV presenters and actresses. She has been a beauty broadcaster with a regular slot on the Orla Barry Show and has appeared on the Afternoon Show and Off the Rails. She has written numerous hair and beauty features for newspapers, magazines and Internet sites, such as consumer magazine iBeauty, The Star Newspaper, Salon Ireland and Irish Beauty, weddingsonline.ie, fashion.ie and weddingsireland.ie. She is currently the beauty editor of Glow*.
Strip Lashes 4439 €12
The Lash Bar, Powerscourt Town Ctr. Dublin 2 (01) 633 6517 nationwide www.thelashbar.ie
With her big beautiful eyes, exquisite bone structure, flawless complexion and full, pouting lips, burlesque babe Dita von Teese really has the beautiful face to carry off dramatic fake lashes. With such an array of fantasy fashion lashes available in ONE in the Powerscourt Shopping Centre, Dublin, including feathers, pink, purple, green and rainbow lashes, diamante lashes and even glow- in- the- dark lashes, we chose a considerably more wearable pair for our model. With quite a classic, contoured eye finished with a slick of inky, black liquid liner, dramatic, sweeping black strip lashes are perfect to finish the look.
How to Apply
1. Measure: Line the lashes up with the corner of the eye
2. Cut to size: If they are too big cut to fit your lash line. It they are too small then keep them at the end of the lid. Trim from the inside.
3. Put glue on the back of the strip and set in place with tweezers. The glue will appear as white until it is dry, and then turn clear.
4. At first there may be a tight sensation, but this should quickly pass as the lashes become more comfortable
5. Don't put mascara on the lashes if you want to re-use them.
Strip lashes should hold all day or night. However, simply pull off before going to bed. They should be reusable so don't use mascara on them. (Donna will demo pulling them off the model)
How to Apply:
1. Put glue onto hand and apply glue to end
2. Look downwards and use hand to pull up the brow so there is a stretch on the eyelid.
3. Jiggle the lash end into the root of the lash line.
4. Let set
5. Use liquid liner to define the lashes.
Pull out each lash gently. Making sure not to pull out the rest of your lashes!!
Strip ¾ Length Lashes
Make- up Forever
140 ¾ Strip Lashes €20
40 Claredon Street, Dublin 2
(01) 6799043 www.face2.ie
How to apply?
1. Apply glue to the rime
2. Place them on at the outside of the eye
3. Use eyeliner on the inside of the eye to make a clean finish.
As above pull off gently and they can be reused.
Top Lash Tips
1. Wear mascara on real lashes under fakies in case lashes fall off
2. Never apply mascara to fake lashes- otherwise they will not be reusable
3. Apply after usual eye make- up has been applied
4. Cut to size
5. Using A tweezers, start at the outer corner and work inwards when applying.
6. Use a tiny amount of glue just to make them tacky.
7. Watch the angle when applying.
8. Lashes may feel tight and uncomfortable when first applied. This feeling soon goes away as lashes become more comfortable
9. Remove lashes before sleeping
10. Store lashes in original packets and you can use them again.