Tantastic - TAS guide to a perfect Tan
Wednesday, 30 April 2008
Summer is fast approaching and we can't allow the nation to continue to have streaky tan, and blotchy elbows! We must show the people of Ireland how to get it right when it comes to fake tan!
Let the Afternoon Show guide to fake tan inspire you towards a golden glow this summer in just 3 simple steps. From Salon spray-tans to at home tanning, we have something for everyone, even if you're in a last-minute tanning dilemma.
Three Steps to the Perfect Tan
During this first hit, Suzanne will demo how to exfoliate correctly, both the body and face. Suzanne will then moisturize particular areas prior to beginning the tanning process.
1. Prepare the skin at least 12 hours prior to application. Exfoliate thoroughly & if necessary use oil free moisturiser on dry areas such as knees, elbows, hands & feet. Moisturisers that contain oil can prevent the absorption of self tanning products. This, however, does not apply to hands and feet- oil based moisturisers can be used here to prevent staining.
2. No body lotions, deodorants or perfumes should be used on the skin on the day of tanning. Our skin absorbs a certain amount of deodorants etc and when tan mixes with deodorant residue a green colour can result. This is a common complaint but easily avoided.
3. Waxing & shaving should be completed at least 24hrs prior to treatment.
4. If you're using a new tanning product for the first time carry out a patch test to ensure a reaction free tan.
5. Use latex gloves when applying tan to rest of the body. Use the Self Tan remover if hands have darkened.
6. To avoid dark patches around the elbows, ankles, knees, toes:
Don't forget to:
. Moisturise these areas first
. Use a mixture of tan and moisturiser
. Exfoliate beforehand
. Buff afterwards
7. In order to avoid a patchy tan all over you must exfoliate- certain parts of the skin may be dehydrated and therefore tan will cling to drier skin.
. Body Brush, €11.20, The Body Shop
. Dermalogica Exfoliating Scrub, €34.00, Salons Nationwide
. Fake Bake Skin Smoothie Oil Solution €15.95, department stores nationwide
During this hit, Suzanne will use the pop- up tent and will demonstrate how to apply a spray tan (Supersonic instant spray tan) on Sarah, our lovely model. This will most likely take more than 4 minutes so, Suzanne will have to finish the tan between hits.
During treatment-what to wear, how to protect the palms etc.
1. Best to wear as little as possible for a full body tan a dark coloured g-string is ideal.
2. A tanning mitt from the body shop is ideal to keep the palms tan free. Also moisturising your palms well about 10 min before tan application will allow the excess tan to wash off the palms once the tan application is complete. Latex gloves are also good and can be bought in local pharmacies.
You also need to pay particular attention to the soles of your feet as it does not look natural to have a tan here. Suzanne's top tip is to cover the soles of your feet with masking tape.
3. The tan will develop only to the colour you will naturally tan. If you want a darker tan, reapply the next day. However, the results will not be as dark as you might like if you have applied moisturiser all over the body, over-rubbed the tan, used too little tan, or showered less than 6 hours after application.
4. St Tropez lotion needs 6-8 hours to develop, and then you shower. If you need to be able to tan-and-go, use the mousse or mist rather than the lotion
Tan will not come off on clothes if you leave it to develop long enough. It will wash off sheets and all types of material (except Lycra) at a low wash
5. Regardless of brand, all tans will stain all nails. Tan remover wipes will completely remove tan from nails however. Remember to get in around the cuticles and at the back of nails.
SuperSunic Spray tan from €25 for half body. To find your nearest salon contact Glenpro Beauty on 094 9638846 or www.glenpro.ie
Spray tents are available from Salon Services, Contact 01 460 9960
Masking tape (for protecting soles of feet)
Latex gloves, available in pharmacies nationwide.
Tanning mitt- The Body Shop, €6.90
Tips for directly after tan application
1. Avoid contact with water for at least 6 hrs.
2. Leave your tan to develop overnight if possible or if recommended.
3. Wear loose dark fitting clothes and be aware of bra strap marks.
4. Avoid activity which may cause perspiration for 12 hours
5. No swimming -chlorine in the water will bleach the colour
6. Avoid other beauty products and treatments until your tan has developed.
7. Avoid touching the skin during development period as this may cause staining of the palms
In this hit, Suzanne will reveal Sarah's new tan - we will show a before & after shot and Suzanne will give tips on how to maintain your tan.
1. When showering avoid body washes with a soap content as they strip the skin.
2. Pat your skin dry rather than rub
3. Apply loads of moisturiser; if you want you can add your tan to your body moisturiser this will help pro long your tan
4. To avoid tan looking dirty as it wears off you must exfoliate. By the third or fourth day you should start exfoliating again, which helps the tan wear off more evenly, and also has the skin well-prepared for the next application. The drier your skin, the dirtier the tan will look as it wears off. This applies to every single brand of tan on the market.
5. New products such as maximisers and intensifiers can lengthen the duration of your tan.
. St Tropez Tan intensifier, €22.50, Department stores nationwide.
. Boots Tan intensifier, €TBC
Vita Liberata "Silken body treatment lotion", €18.00, Pharmacies nationwide