Garden Tips with Eugene - Christmas Trees
Tuesday, 6 December 2005
Cut Christmas Trees
In the first part of the programme, Eugene will talk about five different types of cut Christmas trees and the reasons why you should buy each type.
1. Lodgepole Pine - €30.
2. Noble Fir - €30.
3. Noble Fir Premium - €40.
4. Nordman Spruce - €40.
All available from Coillte.
5. Noble Fir - 2.5m - €75 - Gift Tree Company, www.trees.ie
6. Noble Fir - 2.7m - €100 - Gift Tree Company, www.trees.ie
Eugene will also give us a quick run-down on the various stands available for cut Christmas Trees.
1. Gardman Christmas Tree Stand - €19.99 - widely available.
2. Toronto Christmas Tree Stand - €19.99 - widely available.
3. Nordman Christmas Tree Stand - €27.95 - widely available.
4. Clinco Stand - €30 - Coillte.
Growing Christmas Trees
Later on on today's show, Eugene will talk about the merits of buying a growing Christmas Tree and the varieties available.
1. Cork Bank Fir, Abies Lasioscarpa - €29 - widely available.
2. Nordman Fir, Abies Nordmanniana - €29 -widely available.
3. Farges Fir, Abies Fraserii - €25 - widely available.
4. Noble Fir, Abies Procera - €80 - widely available.
5. Serbian Spruce, Picea Ormira - €59.00 - widely available.
If you require further details on suppliers of all of the above trees, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
6. Children's Christmas Tree - Nordman Fir - €40 - Gift Tree Company, www.trees.ie.
1. Ensure the tree is well-rooted.
2. Choose a room for the tree that is not too hot.
3. Water twice a week.
4. Acclimatize the tree by moving it to a cool porch or garden shed away from frost. Then place it outside a couple of weeks later.
5. Fertilize in spring.