Legal notices and terms and conditions
If you are under 18 years of age, please ask your parent or guardian to read these terms and conditions before you take part in a competition or any quiz or interactive service found in this website.
All copyright, database rights and any other intellectual property rights in the content of this site belong to Forfás and RTE, and their licensors and content providers and may be subject to Government copyright in accordance with the Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000.
Except as expressly set out, nothing herein shall be construed as conferring any licence or other right in relation to the content of this site. Users may retrieve and view the content of the site on screen and print or store in electronic form.
Users may not otherwise copy, modify, publish, license or create derivative works from any of the content of the site without the prior consent of the copyright holders. Any works published with the prior consent of Forfás using material on this site must credit the material to Forfás , must not be used out of context and must pass on all relevant disclaimers and any applicable copyright notices.
Where this material is being issued to others, the source (including URL) and copyright status must be acknowledged.
Requests to publish or distribute the material should be addressed to SCOPE[removethis]@science.ie.
Any material on this site which is the property of a third party may only be modified, copied, distributed, transmitted, displayed, performed, reproduced, published, licensed with the authorisation and consent of that third party.
Images, downloads and screenshots from the SCOPE television series
All images, downloads and screenshots derived from the SCOPE television series are the property of RTÉ, the commissioning broadcaster for SCOPE, and users may not copy, modify, publish, license or create derivative works from any of the content of the images, downloads and screenshots without the prior consent of Forfás and RTÉ.
www.science.ie is owned and operated by Forfás. A dedicated site for the Scope TV programme (www.rte.ie/tv/scope) is hosted by RTE. The materials on the site are owned or licensed by Forfás.
By accessing and using the site you are agreeing to the terms and conditions contained in the notices. Users must read the important disclaimers which follow as they affect the use of the site. The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only. Forfás does not give any warranties in respect of the site or in relation to the accuracy of the information or materials on the site or in relation to any software or services available through the site. Forfás does not warrant or represent that the site or its contents are accurate, complete, current or virus free.
There may be links to other sites listed on the site. Forfás does not own, control or monitor such sites and is not responsible for the availability or content of such sites. Links to such sites are provided solely as a convenience to the user and do not constitute any endorsement, authorisation, sponsorship, affiliation by Forfás of such site, its owners or providers.
While every effort is made in preparing material for publication no responsibility is accepted by or on behalf of Forfás or its third party providers for any errors, omissions or misleading statements on these pages or any site to which these pages connect. Forfás denies all warranties of every nature whatsoever including without limitation, any implied warranties of quality or fitness for a particular purpose, any expressed or statutory warranties, and any warranties or duties regarding accuracy, timeliness, completeness or performance.
Forfás will not be liable to the user or any third party for any consequential or incidental damages (including but not limited to lost profits) arising out of their use of this website.
As a computer user using the Internet you are advised to take all necessary measures to protect your computer equipment from viruses, worms and other harmful programmes and Forfás shall not be liable for any loss or damage of any kind caused by such viruses, worms or programmes or through faults or errors in the services provided hereunder or otherwise as a result of the incompatibility with the services provided hereunder of your computer or any hardware, software and/or equipment used by you.
Terms & Conditions
There are risks in using any information, software products on the Internet and Forfás cautions the user to make sure that the user completely understands these before retrieving, using or relying upon any information received on the Internet. It is the user's responsibility to verify any information before relying on it.
Forfás reserves the right to make alterations to any part of this site and these terms. The terms set out in these pages shall be governed, construed and in accordance with, laws of the Republic of Ireland and the user irrevocably agrees that the courts of the Republic of Ireland are to have non-exclusive jurisdiction to settle any disputes that may arise out of or in connection with these terms.
If any provision of these terms is determined by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unenforceable in whole or in part, the validity and the enforceability of the remainder of the provision in question and of the remaining provisions of these terms shall be separate and several and construed and enforceable accordingly and shall continue in full force and effect.
The failure of Forfás to enforce at any time or for any period any one or more of the terms or conditions of these notices shall not be a waiver of them nor of the right at any time subsequently to enforce all terms and conditions of these notices.
The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only. While every effort is made in preparing material for publication no responsibility is accepted by or on behalf of the State for any errors, omissions or misleading statements on these pages or any site to which these pages connect. Although every effort is made to ensure the reliability of listed sites this cannot be taken as an endorsement of these sites.
Competitions on this website are open to all residents of the island of Ireland, bar employees of Forfás, AMAS Ltd, Stop Watch and Xiam Interactive and their families. Only one entry is allowed per individual; any individual submitting multiple entries will be disqualified.
Prize winners must be available for reasonable publicity in connection with the website and other aspects of the SCOPE project, which may include use of their names and photographs on the website.
Prizes will be delivered as soon as possible after each competition, but the organisers reserve the right to alter all or any of the prizes or substitute those prizes with cash to the same value for any reason and without notification.
Any quiz on the site is provided as a fun activity, to highlight interesting career options and information which may or may not be of interest to the person taking part in the quiz.
- If you are under 18, you must obtain permission from your parent or guardian or the person who pays for the mobile phone service before participating in or playing the competition by text. If you are under 18, you must obtain permission from your parent or guardian before participating in or playing the competition through the website.
- You can enter the competition by sending a text message with SCOPE followed by your answer and name to 53101. You can also enter the competition through the SCOPE website.
- The competition is restricted to residents of the island of Ireland who are not employees of Forfás, Xiam Interactive, Stop Watch or AMAS Ltd, or their families.
- The winner shall be chosen at random from all entries which have identified the week's correct answer.
- The competition may, from time to time, be affected by events outside our control. Forfás, AMAS Ltd, Stop Watch and Xiam Interactive do not accept responsibility for any failure or delay in accepting/sending messages due to network performance, performance of mobile phones or otherwise.
- Texts cost 50 cent.
- If you are a resident of the island of Ireland you may be able to play the keyword competition from outside Ireland but charges will depend on your own service provider's international text message rates.
- Charges for the service will be deducted from your available credit time if you are a pre-pay customer or appear on your monthly statement if you are a pay monthly customer.
- One prize of an iPod Nano will be awarded each week during the 12 weeks of the competition. Winners will be chosen at random each week from correct entries received that week. No cash alternative is available. The promoter reserves the right to change the prize should they require.
- Winners will be contacted on their mobile number or notified by text message within five days of each iPod Nano competition. The winner will have five days from the date of notification of their winning entry to respond to the promoter in order to discuss the address to which the prize should be delivered. Failure to respond within this period and/or agree dates may (at the promoter's discretion) result in forfeiture of the prize. Once verified, the prize will be sent to the winner's address by post. Please allow 60 days for delivery.
- Neither Forfás nor Xiam Interactive will be responsible for any delay, or cancellation of any element of the prize, nor for any inability on the prize-winner's part to take up the prize.
- The Promoter's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By accepting these terms and conditions the winners agree to their names being used in publicity.
- The promoter reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time. The mobile phone numbers of all players will be passed to the promoter. The promoter may contact subscribers in the future by SMS regarding related events.
- The promoter is Forfás, Wilton Park House, Wilton Place, Dublin 2, Ireland.