In Howth, the McGregor children, Sean and Fionn introduce us to their new pets - Lilly and Larry the chickens - who have just laid their first eggs.
When Dave and Laura in Stepaside have their first review with Conor, there's some good news. A month of clever and relatively painless cutting back has saved them over a thousand euros!
Meanwhile in Longford, Des has taken over the weekly shop, with decidedly mixed results.
Top Tips From Conor and Ella
- Know where your money is going and cut down on unnecessary spending.
- Shop around for the best value
- Be aware of how much things cost
- Cut down on spontaneous shopping trips – you almost always end up buying stuff you neither need nor really want.
- Make lists when you visit the supermarket – and stick to them.
- Plan your meals in advance so you don’t end up throwing food away.
www.marymulvihill.net Author of Drive Like a woman Shop like a Man
Skills Swopping & Bartering
- Swop like for like
- Be specific on what is and is not going to be included in swop
- Do your research on the other party, ask for qualifications and references.
- Be open to suggestions and counter offers - flexibility is the key.
- Don't get hung up on the market rate for your skill, think of it in terms of how much you want what you are getting in return.
- Instead of paying money to design & host a website, get a blog! It's free, easy and you can update it yourself.
- All it takes is access to a computer and the web.
- Free blogs are available on www.blogger.com andwww.wordpress.com
- Sign up, secure a name that suits you (e.g. john.blogspot.com) and get blogging!
- You can upload photographs, video and multimedia for free.
- For a professional look, secure a domain name such as www.john.com. Websites such as www.namesecure.com allow you to do this for as little as €7 a year.
- Then you can redirect your blog to www.john.com. What you've now got is a free website with a professional looking web address. All for €7 per year!
- Celebrate the idea of ‘new to you’
- If you haven’t worn it for a year swop it!
- Organise a clothes swop with friends- declutter and revamp your wardrobe for free