The South East episode of The Genealogy Roadshow was filmed on Sunday May 29th in the historic surroundings of Carton House, Co. Kildare. Hundreds of people from all over the region turned up to looking to explore their family's stories. The Roadshow also provided the perfect opportunity to pick up hints and tips from the show's Genealogy SWAT team as they uncovered other people's family roots.
Some of the stories in the Carton House episode include;
- A Dublin man with connections to a world famous polar explorer
- The fascinating contribution of the women who were the GPO during the 1916 Easter Rising
- We trace a complete family history- from riches to rags- from one family heirloom- a document from 1858
- We meet a lady whose great grandfather was aboard the RMS Leinster when it was sunk by a German U-Boat
- We follow the misadventures of a man who abandoned his The United Irishmen troops in one of the bloodiest episodes of the 1798 Rebellion
- We hear how a Dublin woman's father may have been responsible for the destruction of the nation's genealogical records in the Four Courts during the Civil War