The Connacht episode of The Genealogy Roadshow was filmed on Sunday June 26th in the sumptuous surroundings of Glenlo Abbey, Co Galway. Hundreds of people from all over the province turned up to looking to explore their family's stories. The Roadshow also provided the perfect opportunity to pick up hints and tips from the show's Genealogy SWAT team as they uncovered other people's family roots.
Some of the stories in Glenlo Abbey episode include:
- The life changing journey of an American family who have come all the way from Boston to find out more about their Irish roots and the grandfather who emigrated from Galway in 1909.
- A mother and daughter who have discovered a relative who may provide a link to The Great Liberator, Daniel O'Connell.
- A man on a quest to prove that he is the 11th Earl of Mayo.
- Revelations for a lady searching for more information about her father who died when she was young.
- We solve the mystery of a girl on the 1911 Census who was born in Egypt and how she ended up living with an Irish family in Roscommon.
- Advice for a Dublin woman searching for her grandmother after her mother was adopted from a Mother and Baby Home in the 1930's.
- A father and daughter come to verify they are related to a famous Republican, and get to see what this father of the nation really had on his mind.