Episode 3: Breastfeeding
Peter's Development from 0 - 3 months:
- Pulled to sit - little or no head lag
- Held sitting - back is straight except in lumbar region
- Holds head erect and steady for several seconds before bobbing forwards
- Placed prone - lifts head and upper chest well up in midline using forearms to support
- Held standing with feet on hard surface. Sags at knees.
- Follows moving ball in horizontal plane
- Follows moving ball in vertical plane
- Holds toy but cannot yet co-ordinate hand and eyes - may move rattle towards his face bashing his chin
- Watches movement of own hands before face and engages finger play
- Recognises feeding bottle and makes eager welcoming movements as it approaches face.
- Sudden loud noises still distress provoking blinking, screwing up face - crying and turning away.
- Vocalises delightedly when spoken to, also when alone.
- Quietens to sound of spoon in a cup at 6-12" on level with ear.
- May turn eyes or head towards sound source
- Sucks or licks lips in response to sounds of preparation for feeding
- Fixes eyes on mothers face when feeding
- now enjoys bath and caring routines
- Peek a boo - helps a baby to learn that Mammy is still there even if she can't be seen.
- Where's teddy - helps a baby to learn when something is moved it can be found by looking for it.
- Stimulated or neglected
- quiet and understanding child - "good child"
demanding child - compels his parents to stimulate him
Children need structured stimulation to develop their talents.