- Plain Flour – 500gr
- Butter (cool) – 250gr
- Caster Sugar – 125gr
- Milk – 75gr
- Place flour in mixing bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the flour. Using both hands, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles bread crumbs. Be careful not to over work at this stage otherwise the paste will be difficult to handle.
- Dissolve the sugar in the milk. Add this liquid to the flour and butter mixture, and mix to a soft paste.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film or a plastic bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using a rolling carefully pin roll the pastry out 0.5cm thick. Use dusting flour both on and under the pastry.
- Cut disks of pastry using a 5cm round cutter. Then using a 3cm round cutter cut out round holes in centre of half of the disks. Place the disks without the holes on a baking parchment tray. Lightly wash the edges with milk and then carefully place the disks with the centre removed on top. Fill with jam and bake.
- Bake at 180º C for 15 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
Thanks to The Baking Academy of Ireland.