Home News TV Listings Movies Music Video Photos Radio Book Club Life & Style

News

Brooks saga ends in fans' disappointment again

1 of 1 Brooks -
Brooks - "To say I am crushed is an understatement"

Country singer Garth Brooks has confirmed that he will not play any of his five planned concerts at Croke Park this summer.

Brooks said his heart was broken and he was crushed over the failure to stage the five events.

Ticket refunds will go ahead as planned for the 400,000 fans from 9:00am on Thursday July 17.

Brooks had been scheduled to play five concerts at Croke Park on consecutive nights at the end of the month, starting on Friday July 25.

However, licences were only granted for three of the shows and Brooks refused to go ahead on that basis.

In a statement issued on Monday night, he said: "I just received the news the Irish council cannot change their earlier ruling to not allow the licenses for all five shows. To say I am crushed is an understatement.

"All I see is my mother's face and I hear her voice. She always said things happen for a reason and for the right reason."

He added: "As hard as I try, I cannot see the light on this one. So it is with a broken heart, I announce the ticket refunds for the event will go as posted by Ticketmaster."

Aiken Promotions said it examined "all possible solutions" in an attempt to get the concerts back on. However, it said all the concerts were cancelled.

It is understood that Dublin City Council was willing to offer three more concerts in October, but the singer rejected this proposal.

He had previously turned down a compromise of four shows and he also rejected the option of two matinee performances.

For more on refunds, see: www.ticketmaster.ie/gbrefunds.

add your own comment
User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use