Home News TV Listings Movies Music Video Photos Radio Book Club Life & Style

News

Enquirer apologises for false Hoffman story

1 of 1 National Enquirer admits making false claims about the late actor Philip Seymour Hoffman
National Enquirer admits making false claims about the late actor Philip Seymour Hoffman

US tabloid National Enquirer has made a formal apology after making false claims about the late actor Philip Seymour Hoffman.

The magazine had made allegations about Hoffman and his friend, the playwright David Bar Katz.

Katz signed a complaint in a libel suit within hours of publication and the magazine apologised two days later.

"My 14-year-old said, "Dad, there's something online about you and Phil being lovers'," Katz told the New York Times. "I said, 'Phil would get a kick out of that'."

He added: "Things had already achieved the maximum level of surreality, and I thought this thing online was a big nothing

"After I dropped the kids at school, I looked at my phone, and I've gotten a million calls."

The tabloid and its publisher American Media Incorporated has settled with Katz, and has taken out a full-page advert written by Katz's lawyer Judd Burstein in today's (February 26) edition of the New York Times for its apology.

It will also fund Katz's newly-formed American Playwriting Foundation and its annual Relentless Award prize of $45,000 for an unproduced play.

add your own comment
User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use