Home News TV Listings Movies Music Video Photos Radio Book Club Life & Style

News

Gomez alleged stalker is released

1 of 1 A civil restraining order remains in place.
A civil restraining order remains in place.

A US judge has dismissed a criminal case against a man charged with stalking Selena Gomez, saying he did not believe prosecutors had shown he intended to cause the actress and singer to be afraid.

According to news agency PA, the dismissal will free Thomas Broadnicki, 46, who was charged earlier this month with stalking Selena between July and October.

The actress was not present for Wednesday's preliminary hearing during which a prosecutor attempted to show there was probable cause for Brodnicki to stand trial.

Brodnicki has a history of mental illness and was being held on $150,000 bail after his arrest on October 31.

Mental health workers had notified authorities that he had threatened to kill the starlet while on a psychiatric hold.

"We strenuously objected" to the dismissal, district attorney's spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said. She said Superior Court Judge Edmund Willcox Clarke Jr ruled Brodnicki "did not have the intent to cause fear".

Ms Gibbons said the office is evaluating its options, which could include refiling the case at a later date.

A civil restraining order requiring Brodnicki to stay 100 yards away from Selena remains in place.

A hearing is scheduled for November 23 to determine whether the stay-away order will remain in place for the next three years.

Selena, 19, wrote in a sworn declaration that she is in "extreme fear" of Brodnicki.

add your own comment
User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use