Lee to wait on match-fixing punishment
Updated: Tuesday, 24 Sep 2013 11:11
Stephen Lee will discover his punishment for match-fixing tomorrow, it has been announced.
The 38-year-old was found guilty of seven match-fixing charges by an independent tribunal last week.
A statement from the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association said: "The hearing in the case of Stephen Lee to decide the sanction took place today. Adam Lewis QC will deliver his decision on sanction tomorrow."
Lee, the former world No 5, could face a life ban from snooker after being found guilty of match-fixing charges relating to seven matches in 2008 and 2009.
It is the biggest case of match-fixing to hit the sport since Australian Quinten Hann was suspended for eight years in 2006 for breaking rules governing match-fixing.
The matches in question were three matches in the Malta Cup in 2008, two matches at the UK Championship in the same year, one at the 2009 China Open 2009 and one at the 2009 World Championship.
WPBSA chairman Jason Ferguson has confirmed Lee faces "a significant sanction".
Ferguson said last week: "The WPBSA has a zero-tolerance approach to match-fixing.
"This particular case was extremely difficult and complicated to bring to a hearing. We believe we have established the world's most sophisticated system in dealing with corruption in sport and we will take every step under the WPBSA rules to deal with those responsible."
It is the biggest case of match-fixing to hit snooker since Australian Quinten Hann was suspended for eight years in 2006 for breaking rules governing match-fixing after he was caught in a sting by undercover reporters where he agreed to lose a game at the China Open in return for money.
Last year, Joe Jogia was banned for two years after the WPBSA found him guilty of breaching betting rules.