Ludlow abandoned, Wincanton hopeful, Newbury is on

Updated: Wednesday, 16 Jan 2013 12:12

Officials at Ludlow have been forced to abandon their meeting tomorrow due to a frozen track.

An 8am inspection was called due to an adverse forecast and despite the vulnerable areas being covered, parts of the course were frozen solid.

Clerk of the course Bob Davies said: "It was a formality unfortunately, if the forecast was right.

"When I saw the long range forecast on Sunday I knew we'd struggle.

"When I arrived here my car said it was -3C but our thermometer outside said it had reached -6C and it's not due to get above freezing all day today.

"Tonight is due to be even colder."

WINCANTON

Officials at Wincanton are "hopeful" that tomorrow's meeting will survive an 8.30am precautionary inspection.

Temperatures dipped to -3C in the West Country on Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning with a similar forecast this evening.

Clerk of the course Barry Johnson said: "It's down to -3C now but we've got the frost sheets down on the racing line and it's perfectly raceable.

"It's forecast to get to -3C tonight and if it does we should be OK.

"We'll have a look at 8.30am when it's properly light so we can see everything but I'm hopeful we'll be OK."

NEWBURY

This afternoon's meeting at Newbury will go ahead as planned after the course passed a 9am inspection.

HAYDOCK

Saturday's big card at Haydock is subject to an 8.30am inspection on Thursday morning.

With temperatures having dipped to as low as minus 4.5c overnight, the forecast heading into the weekend is similarly bleak.

There is also the continued risk of snow towards the end of the week.