Ian Thorpe has returned to the pool and is set to do a heavy block of training laps as he contemplates his next competition.
The five-time Olympic gold medallist missed out on place at a third Olympic Games in London after failing to qualify in the 100-metre and 200-metre freestyle at last week's selection trials in Adelaide.
Thorpe, 29, said he planned to continue swimming and has returned to the pool ahead of increased training.
"I'm still disappointed but once the competition was over I found the resolve to continue doing what I'm doing and I'm as motivated as what I was before," Thorpe said.
While Thorpe has not completely ruled out aiming for the Rio Olympics in 2016, his next target could be next year's world championships in Barcelona.
But Thorpe said he has yet to decide on where and when he will return to competition.
"I have literally no idea when I'll be back in competition," Thorpe said.
"It will be sometime during this year but I most definitely haven't made any decision on which competition it will be. The next phase for me is really a pretty significant training block."
Thorpe has expressed an intention to spend more time training in Australia this year after doing his comeback training in Switzerland last year.
The Olympic great, who had retired in 2006, had a string of disappointing results leading up to the Olympic trials since his comeback in Singapore last November.
The "Thorpedo" ruled the pool from 1998 to 2004, taking nine Olympic medals and 11 world titles, while setting 13 long course world records.
Meanwhile, it has emerged that most of the Australian swimming team are not happy with the official swimsuit they are expected to compete in at this year's London Olympics, reports said Thursday.
Sisters Cate and Bronte Campbell, who have both qualified for London, said dissatisfaction with the Elite Fastskin Pro suit presented to the Olympic team by their official sponsor Speedo was so high that many were applying for official exemptions to compete wearing something else, newspapers said.
"I think there's about two people on the team who are happy with the Speedo suit at the moment," Bronte Campbell told The Sydney Morning Herald.
"I think most of the team is happy with the older Speedo suit, so they may have to look at (wearing) that."
The sisters are sponsored by a rival swimwear company and will wear an unmarked swimsuit at London, being among 32 Australian athletes who successfully applied to the Australian Olympic Committee for exemptions.
Dual Olympic relay gold medallist Jessicah Schipper said she tried the latest Speedo product but preferred her sponsor's outfit.
"It's unofficial as of yet but I'm hoping to be wearing adidas over there," Schipper told the newspaper.
"I've tried (the Speedo suit) out, and I find they just don't fit my body as well as the ones that were designed for me, and at the end of the day I want to race in what fits me best."
Speedo said in a statement it was continuing to work closely with the AOC and the Australian swimming team "to deliver suits that will allow them to feel confident and compete to the highest standard in the lead up to and during the London 2012 Olympics."
Swimsuits caused an uproar at the 2009 Rome world championships when swimmers wearing high-tech polyurethane swimsuits set a total of 43 world records at the meet, leading to their ban by head body FINA in favour of garments made from textiles.