Suarez denied deliberately biting Chiellini
Luis Suarez has reportedly told FIFA he did not deliberately bite Giorgio Chiellini, but lost his balance and hit his face against the Italian defender..
The AP claims to have seen a record of Suarez’s defence in FIFA’s ruling about the incident, in which he says that “after the impact... I lost my balance, making my body unstable and falling on top of my opponent.
"At that moment I hit my face against the player leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth.”
Suarez says “in no way it happened how you have described, as a bite or intent to bite," the report says.
However, the FIFA panel found that the bite was “deliberate, intentional and without provocation".
Suarez today thanked fans for "the outpouring of support and love" and said "myself and my family really appreciate it."
Hola a todos, escribo este mensaje para dar las gracias a todas las muestras de apoyo y cariño que estoy (cont) http://t.co/2uo0LXaqs2— Luis Suarez (@luis16suarez) June 28, 2014
FIFA has been formally informed of an appeal against Suarez's ban.
The Uruguay football federation will now have a further seven days to prepare the paperwork for the appeal.
FIFA head of media Delia Fischer told a news conference in Rio de Janeiro: "We have received a declaration that they are planning to appeal. They informed us of their intention to appeal yesterday evening.
"The reasons for the appeal must now be given in writing within a deadline of seven days after the three days has expired."
Uruguay Oscar Tabarez suggested earlier that the English media were to blame for the "excessive" four-month punishment that was handed out to Suarez.
Tabarez read out a 15-minute long statement in a press conference in the Maracana on the eve of Uruguay's second round match against Colombia.
The Uruguay coach said he was standing down from his role on FIFA's Technical Study Group (TSG) because he thought the record ban on Suarez for biting Chiellini was too heavy.
Tabarez thinks FIFA would not have hit Suarez so hard had it not been for the publicity storm he believes was whipped up by the English media.
Tabarez accused "English-speaking" journalists of making a meal of the incident directly after Uruguay's win over Italy even though it was the third time Suarez had bitten an opponent.
"[It is] a decision which, obviously, is much more focused on the opinions of the media - the media who immediately drew their conclusions at the game - the journalists who concentrated solely on that topic at the post-match press conference," Tabarez said.
"I don't know what their nationality was, but they all spoke English.
"They concentrated on the history of Luis because of things that happened in the past.
"He was sanctioned, he complied with these sanctions, in the past."
Tabarez read out the statement and then refused to answer any questions from the hundred or so journalists who had assembled for the press conference.
As Tabarez left the room he was applauded by the gathered Uruguayan press.
Regarding his decision to step down from the TSG, Tabarez said: "It is not wise or prudent to be in an organisation with people, those who exerted pressure to promote this decision and those who rendered the award, who managed procedures and values very different to those I have.
"Therefore, in the coming days, I will file my resignation to that position formally."
Suarez had been measured "by a different meter", according to the Uruguay coach.
"We forget the scapegoat is a person who has rights,” Tabarez said.
"In this specific case, of Luis Suarez, besides the mistakes he might have committed, he's made significant contributions to football on the pitch, the essence of World Cups.
"They depend upon the contributions by such great players."
Suarez was given a hero's welcome when he landed in Montevideo on Friday.
Tabarez hopes his team will be able to beat Colombia despite the omission of their star striker.
"To the fans, they, like us, are moved by the severity of this punishment: I want to let them know that we are hurt, but we desire more than ever to do well [on Saturday] and we will do our utmost," he said.