Suarez banned for four months for biting Chiellini
Luis Suarez has been banned from "all football related activities" for four months - and a total of nine Uruguay games - for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.
Suarez will miss the remainder of Uruguay's World Cup campaign. He will also be absent for the first nine games of Liverpool's Premier League season, a League Cup tie and their first three Champions League group stage games.
Suarez has also been fined 100,000 Swiss francs (€82,000).
Uruguay confirmed that they will now would lodge an appeal against the ban - but Suarez will remain suspended during that process and is certainly out of the World Cup.
The incident between Chiellini and Suarez occurred with 10 minutes to play in Uruguay's 1-0 win over the Italians.
During the incident, Suarez was seen to move his head towards Chiellini's shoulder, before the Italian swung his arm towards the Uruguayan and both players then fell to the ground.
Chiellini ran towards the referee, attempting to show the official bite marks on his shoulder but no action was taken at the time. Pictures later appeared to show that Suarez had bitten the Italian.
In a statement on Thursday, FIFA said that "such behaviour cannot be tolerated on any football pitch, and in particular not at a FIFA World Cup when the eyes of millions of people are on the stars on the field."
It is the third ban for biting of Suarez's career. He was suspended for seven games in 2010 for attacking PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkawhile while playing for Ajax in the Dutch league.
In April 2013 he bit Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic and received a 10-game ban from the FA.
Liverpool FC said they would review today's decision before making any further comment.
Suarez, dealt with as a serial biting offender by the FIFA panel which took his two previous cases into consideration, has now flown out of Brazil to return to Uruguay with his World Cup over.
His ban excludes him from training with Liverpool or any other club and from going to any stadium, but it does not prevent him being transferred to another club.
Liverpool are taking specialist legal advice over what they see as an unprecedented incident before deciding on their next move regarding last season's PFA and FWA player of the year and the Premier League's top scorer with 31 goals.
Urguay will now face Colombia on Saturday with Uruguay federation (AUF) president Wilmar Valdez insisting there was no possibility of boycotting the match.
"Uruguay continues playing at this World Cup. We have good players who can come in ... Luis will travel to Montevideo to be with the rest of his family to recover."
Valdez confirmed the association would appeal to FIFA's appeals committee against the Suarez sanctions. Suarez and AUF can also appeal beyond that to the Court of Arbitration for Sport with the aim of obtaining a outcome before the start of the new season.
Valdez said: "We are preparing our appeal now, we have three days to do it.
"It's an extremely excessive punishment, there was not enough evidence and I have seen more aggressive incidents recently.
"It's feels like Uruguay have been thrown out of the World Cup.
We all know what Suarez means to Uruguay and to football around the world - not having him would be a loss to any team."
It is the third time Suarez has been sanctioned for biting opponents - the two previous offences occurred in club football.
The sanctions are a record ban imposed on a player for an offence at a World Cup of an on-the-pitch offence - previously it was Italy's Mauro Tassotti who was banned for eight matches for breaking Luis Enrique's nose with an elbow in 1994.