20 June 2014 | News Comments

Del Bosque offers to resign

Vicente del Bosque insists he does not want to be a "hindrance" and has offered to step down as Spain coach due to the team's early exit from the World Cup.

Del Bosque has received the backing of players including Sergio Ramos and Santi Cazorla, while Jorge Perez, the Spanish Football Federation's sporting director, has also given his support to the 63-year-old, saying he would try to convince the coach to change his mind if he did choose to resign.

Del Bosque explained he would not make any decision on his future until after Spain's final match of the tournament against Australia, and refused to single out any of his players for the team's failures in Brazil, insisting: "Everyone is to blame."

"We are still competing, so I don't think this is the moment to speak about my future, but I will do what is best for everyone," he told a press conference.

"I want to repeat that I don't want to be a hindrance to the Spanish Football Federation. The good of Spanish football should become above all personalities.

"I want to try and act correctly with the Federation, which has always treated me well. If I am a problem for our football, I will go. The interests of the national team and the Federation will rank above my own interests when I make my decision."

There was a difference of opinion among Spain's players as to why the tournament holders lost both their opening games, to Holland and Chile respectively, with Xabi Alonso citing a lack of hunger, a statement quickly refuted by Andres Iniesta and Diego Costa.

The players' words have prompted speculation in the press that there was a rift within the Spain camp, but Del Bosque insisted his players were not at loggerheads with each other, before or after the Chile game.

"I don't think there is any distance between the players," he said.
"I think they have a very good relationship. The dressing room has always responded.

"The reasons for what has happened are entirely sporting, that's all. People can look for other explanations but I do not share them."

The coach also refused to pin the blame on Spain's older generation such as Alonso, Iker Casillas and Xavi Hernandez.

"There are not that many older players that need to leave. Here we judge players on merit, not on their age."

He added: "Everyone here messed up at this World Cup. It wasn't the veterans, the youngsters or the coaching staff - everyone is to blame."

Perez said there had not yet been any formal discussion about Del Bosque's future and it had been decided to wait until the team, who play their final match against Australia on Monday, were back in Spain before holding talks.

"It is better to let some time elapse and wait to discuss things calmly in Madrid," Perez said on Spanish radio.

"When Del Bosque signed the contract (to 2016) he said that if for any reason we thought he should not continue he would leave," he added.

"Del Bosque has not presented his resignation and if he did we would ask him to carry on. His family might convince him not to continue but we will not find anyone better," Perez said.   

"From the top to the bottom at the federation we are with Del Bosque. If we have the best why change?"