11 June 2014 | News Comments

New contracts for Wilmots, Pirlo, Lahm and Mueller

Juventus' Andrea Pirlo and Bayern Munich's Philipp Lahm and Thomas Mueller have signed new deals with their clubs ahead of representing Italy and Germany, respectively, at the World Cup.

Veteran midfielder Pirlo, 35, was set to become a free agent this summer but has penned a new contract with the recently-crowned Italian champions which will keep him in Turin until June 30, 2016.

A statement from Juventus read: "Andrea Pirlo's fantastic story with the Bianconeri continues.

"The "Professor" has signed a contract extension that will keep him at Juventus until June 30, 2016."

Pirlo, who was voted the 2012-13 Player of the Year in Serie A by his peers, has enjoyed another solid campaign with the Turin club.

The 35-year-old scored four goals in 29 league appearances to help the Bianconeri clinch their third straight Scudetto.

Pirlo is currently training with the national team in Brazil in preparation for Italy's World Cup opener against England on Saturday in Manaus.

Meanwhile, Bayern captain Lahm has committed himself to a new four-year contract with Muller, a reported target of Manchester United, signing a new five-year deal.

Both players came through the club's youth system and, with the exception of a two-year loan spell with Stuttgart in the case of Lahm, have spent their whole careers with Bayern.

"Both Philipp Lahm and Thomas Muller are very important elements of Bayern Munich," said the club's chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

"Both have remained faithful to this club right from the very start of their careers and they are also going to play an important role here in the future.

"We are very happy that both have decided to commit their long-term futures to Bayern Munich.

"Now I hope that Philipp Lahm and Thomas Muller have a successful World Cup and I keep my fingers crossed for them and the Germany national team on the way to the title."

"This is definitely my last contract and I will end my career at Bayern Munich." - Philipp Lahm

Lahm has been a mainstay in the Bayern team ever since returning from that two-year loan spell with Stuttgart 11 years ago. He has played a total of 313 Bundesliga matches and featured 85 times in the Champions League.

He says he will retire at the end of his new deal.

"It was the right time to discuss an extension," said the 30-year-old. "This is definitely my last contract and I will end my career at Bayern Munich.

"That was always my wish and I'm delighted it has happened."

Muller, the top goalscorer at the last World Cup four years ago, when he was also named the best young player, also plans to spend his career with the Bavarian club.

"I'm delighted to have extended my contract until 2019 so close to the start of the World Cup," he said.

"The club convinced me that I'm in the right place and I have the feeling that I'm an important component in the club's plans.

Meanwhile, Wilmots has signed a new contract until 2018 he said today after the squad completed their first training session since arriving at the World Cup.

Wilmots reached an agreement for an extension in April but surprised reporters last week when he said he had only a verbal agreement with the Belgian FA and had not yet put pen to paper.

He had sought to secure deals for his support staff before signing his new contract, he said at a news conference in Mogi das Cruzes where Belgium are based. It keeps the 45-year-old in place until the next World Cup in Russia.

Wilmots took over from Dick Advocaat in 2012 and led Belgium to their first major tournament finals since 2002. The ex-striker played in three World Cups in 1994, 1998 and 2002, making eight appearances and scoring five goals.

Belgium, who face Algeria, Russia and South Korea in Group H, are seen as dark horses in the race to win the World Cup.