Pat Fenlon was happy as Hibernian followed up their draw at Celtic with a 2-1 victory over Kilmarnock to stretch their unbeaten run to five matches.

Hibs moved second in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League - denied top spot only by a late Motherwell winner at Dundee - after an eventful afternoon at Easter Road this season.

An in-swinging Leigh Griffiths corner ricocheted in off Kilmarnock goalkeeper Kyle Letheren and defender Rory McKeown as Hibs took a 14th-minute lead.

Danny Racchi tucked in an equaliser after 32 minutes before Griffiths converted a 45th-minute penalty which proved decisive and the major talking point afterwards.

"We're pleased," Fenlon said. "It's another good three points at home and that's the important thing.

"It was important we backed that (the draw at Celtic) up and get a continuous run of good results."

Griffiths went off before the end, walking around half of the pitch to cheers from the home support.

Fenlon added: "He rocked his ankle yesterday in training and was a little bit sore. We're hoping he's okay. I think he just liked the applause to be honest."

Griffiths converted the decisive penalty after Ryan O'Leary was adjudged to have tripped Paul Cairney by referee Steven McLean.

"I've just watched it on the DVD and it's a penalty," Fenlon added.

"I thought at the time it was a little bit harsh, but after watching it it's a penalty.

"If it was against us I would've been disappointed, but after watching it again, the referee's in a good position and it's definitely a penalty."

Kilmarnock boss Kenny Shiels disagreed and insisted he did not need to see a replay of the penalty incident.

"He (Cairney) ran straight into my player looking for a penalty," Shiels said.

"There was no contact. I don't have to see replays. We know it wasn't a penalty."

O'Leary said: "From where I was he was looking for it. He threw himself into me and I didn't touch him before he went down."

Shiels spoke with McLean at length at half-time.

"At half-time going into the tunnel, I said 'Steve, you have to show us more respect'," the Killie boss added.

"I wasn't happy about the penalty decision, it came at a bad time. I had a good chat with him and he treated me like a human being.

"The referee had a good game, but there was an ulterior influence in there.

"The mistakes he made influenced the outcome and it went against us today.

"We were very unfortunate. We can't feel sorry for ourselves. Hibs are having a good run and everything seems to be going their way.

"If you look at what they have done to win the match, they've got an own goal and a disputed penalty.

"I don't think they've done enough to win the game and I certainly don't think we have been bad enough to lose the game."