Dundalk 3-2 Bohemians

Super-sub David McMillan came from the bench to hit a brace as Dundalk overturned a 2-1 deficit to beat Bohemians 3-2 and take a huge step towards the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division title.

The result, coupled with Cork City's 2-2 draw against bottom of the table Athlone Town, means that Stephen Kenny's side are now six points clear at the top of the table with just seven games to play.

News was just filtering through that City had taken the lead in Lissywoollen when Dundalk pulled in front themselves after 22 minutes.

The goal was simple in its execution. Darren Meenan's corner from the right was headed across goal by Patrick Hoban and captain Andy Boyle was on hand to power home at the back post.

The Oriel Park faithful were silenced just seven minutes later as Bohs equalised in stunning fashion. Karl Moore cut in from the right, on to his left foot, and let fly with a fabulous effort that left Peter Cherrie with no chance. This was Moore's second goal in as many league games.

The game continued to ebb and flow at a good tempo and Dundalk thought they had pulled ahead again in the 33rd minute.

Meenan delivered yet another vicious corner into a crowded six-yard box but Dean Delany somehow managed to keep Brian Gartland's header out from close range.

Proof that Bohs hadn't read the script was highlighted when they took the lead three minutes before half-time. Again, it was a strike that left Cherrie with no chance.

Dinny Corcoran was allowed time to shoot from 20 yards and he punished the visitors with a stunning strike into the roof of the net.

Kenny responded by introducing McMillan in place of Kurtis Byrne at the interval, and the substitute almost made an instant impression, flashing in a cross from the left which Hoban glanced agonisingly wide of the post.

The home crowd sensed an equaliser and it arrived in the 54th minute.

Daryl Horgan's cross from the left found McMillan and he somehow managed to guide a stunning header inside Delany's far post.

The drama continued to unfold and the tension increased as news that Cork had taken the lead came through.

That anxiety evaporated five minutes later, though, in what could go down as the pivotal moment in the title race.

James O'Brien's equaliser for Athlone had just found the net in the midlands when Delany parried a cross from the right into the path of McMillan and the striker pounced to fire home a priceless volley from 15-yards.

Dundalk: Cherrie; Gannon, Gartland, Boyle, Massey; Shields (Higgins 73), Towell; Meenan (McDermott 67), Byrne (McMillan HT), Horgan; Hoban.

Bohemians: Delany; Pender, Price, Lopes, Memery (Evans 81); Moore, Wearen, Walsh, Devaney; Byrne, Corcoran.

Referee: Derek Tomney.

Dundalk Favourites