Strikes from Daryl Horgan and Richie Towell ensured Dundalk maintained their position as SSE Airtricity League Premier Division leaders as the Lilywhites recorded a 2-0 victory over Bohemians at Dalymount Park.

Hogan was on target with a ninth-minute strike, while Towell registered his eight goal of the season in all competitions seven minutes after the restart.

The result secured Stephen Kenny's side their fifth league win in the month of May and they enter the summer with a two-point lead over Cork City at the top of the table.

In contrast, Owen Heary's Bohemians remain second from bottom, still looking for their first home win of the season.

Kenny named an unchanged starting XI for the fourth successive league game and it didn't take long for his title chasers to click into the groove.

Darren Meenan saw a goal-bound header cleared off the line by Dan Byrne in the opening minute before Dane Massey tested Dean Delany with a 30-yard drive.

Massey was almost caught at the other end soon after. The Dundalk left-back switched off from a Karl Moore free-kick and Paddy Kavanagh almost profited, the ball just evading him at the back post.

The league leaders opened the scoring in the ninth minute when Meenan squared the ball to Horgan and the winger cut on to his left foot and hammered a 20-yard drive past Delany.

The Bohs keeper had to throw himself to his left to deny Kurtis Byrne from making it 2-0 just after the restart but the home side quickly regrouped and held the upper hand for the remainder of the half.

Heary would have been delighted with his side's response and all that was missing was a goal to show for their efforts.

Paddy Kavanagh's free-kick just shy of the half-hour mark was as close as they came, his 25-yard attempt going just inches past Peter Cherrie's right-hand post.

They also had a good opportunity to restore parity six minutes later. Anto Murphy's throw-in from the left carried past a crowded six-yard box and fell to Jason Byrne at the far post, but the ace hitman could only direct his effort over the top, much to the delight of the visiting fans behind the goal.

The second half was just seven minutes old when Towell doubled Dundalk's advantage.

Racing on to Patrick Hoban's lay-off, the midfielder's sumptuous effort arced past Delany to put Kenny's men firmly in the driving seat.

The goal knocked the stuffing out of the Gypsies, and the effort and tenacity that they showed in the first half wasn’t replicated in the second half.

Stephen Beattie flashed a right-footed drive at Cherrie in the 69th minute, but it was Dundalk who went closest to adding another when Horgan hit the post from a deep Meenan cross in the 76th minute.

Bohemians: Delany; Murphy, Price, L Byrne, Pender; Kavanagh, Mulcahy, Walsh (Devaney 79), Moore (Corcoran 59); Beattie, J Byrne.

Dundalk: Cherrie; Gannon, Boyle, Gartland, Massey; Meenan, Towell, Shields, Horgan; Byrne (Mountney 86); Hoban (McMillan 82).

Referee: Derek Tomney.