For the second game in a row, Derry City struggled to create chances, this time against Limerick, as the sides played out a scoreless draw in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division at a sun drenched Brandywell.

Limerick could have snatched all three points as Rory Gaffney was inches away from setting-up Derry old boy Tam McManus in the second half.

While the best chance of the match came after 80 minutes but Ryan Curran's close-range header from Patrick McEleney's inch-perfect delivery was straight at Barry Ryan.

The only talking point in the first half from this encounter came before the game with the news that Derry boss Roddy Collins had dropped duo Rory Patterson and Shane McEleney from his squad.

While Patrick McEleney and Dean Jarvis were also dropped to the bench from the side that drew at Bray Wanderers on Friday night with David Elebert and Raymond Foy getting their first starts of the season.

Neither side created a chance in what was a dreadful first half with Gaffney’s long throws the visitor’s only real threat, while an off target Enda Curran strike was the best City could create.

The stroll in the sunshine display continued after the break but it was the visitor’s who went close to breaking the deadlock on 74 minutes when Gaffney’s left wing centre just missed substitute McManus.

Derry had a half chance themselves a minute later but Michael Duffy’s left-footed effort went the wrong side of Barry Ryan’s post and hit the side netting.

Moments later substitute McEleney’s left wing in-swinging free-kick right into the six yard would have found Elebert, but Samuel Oji’s last-ditch clearance denied the big centre back a certain goal.

The best chance of the match fell to the home side on 81 minutes when McEleney’s teasing right wing cross found an unmarked Curran at the back post, but the substitute’s close-range header was straight at Ryan.

Soon after Limerick nearly won the game when a tremendous long-range free-kick by Shane Tracy, which had Doherty beaten, sailed just over the bar.

Derry City: Doherty, Collins, Byrne, Elebert, Barry (Jarvis 67); Duffy, Foy, Molloy, McGovern (R Curran 56); Stewart (McEleney 70), E Curran.

Limerick: Ryan, Kelly, Folan, Oji, Williams; Duggan, Agyemang (McManus 59), Hughes; Mann (Rainsford 69), Gaffney, Tracy.

Referee: Paul Tuite (Dublin).