The battle of the two Citys, Cork and Derry, took place in the
Airticity Premier Division at Turner's Cross this afternoon, with the northern side coming out 1-0 on top.

Derry took all three points home after a late winner, securing Derry's first win in Cork for 15 years.

Both sides tried hard and created plenty of chances, without any player providing any true moments of class. The game hinged on an 88th minute handball committed by Cork City substitute Adam Rundle on the very edge of the box while under no pressure.

Northern Ireland international Rory Patterson struck the penalty low to Cork goalkeeper Mark McNulty's left. He saved it acrobatically but Patterson joyfully half volleyed the ball into the opposite corner.

The result was harsh on the home side who had created more chances over the 90 minutes. The result leaves Cork City on four points with Derry now on six points.

Both sides tried to play possession-based attacking football from the off, with the southern club doing that more capably.

The home side provided the brightest attacks in the opening quarter without ever getting in behind the opposition. Derry threatened a number of times too, especially through Rory Patterson's pace.

Their best effort early on came from Michael Rafter's audacious effort from around 30 feet out after 18 minutes which had Mark McNulty scrambling across his goal, but the ball dropped just wide.

Cork City set up in a 4-4-2 formation with Daryl Horgan providing most threat for the home side, with Derry City in a fluid 4-3-3, which often became 4-5-1 without the ball.

The first half closed with a flurry of chances for both sides and some end to end counter-attacks. The half's final action was a strong downward header that went just wide by Cork's captain Kevin Burns from a Daryl Horgan corner.

Daryl Kavanagh reappeared for the second half with a new pair of boots, perhaps hoping to change his goalscoring record.

The second period continued in the frantic manner that the first
concluded. Kavanagh almost squeezed in a hooked shot beyond the back post from a deep cross by Danny Murphy. Patterson had a sharp shot from an acute angle that was saved well.

Derry centre midfield Micheal Rafter had two excellent shots from distance after 66 and 67 minutes but was taken off two minutes later for Ryan Curran.

Tommy Dunne made a number of substitutions for Cork City but they did not have the desired positive effect and Derry will be delighted with full points.

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Danny Murphy, Kevin Murray (C), Gearóid Morrissey, Colin Healy, Shane Duggan, Daryl Kavanagh (Danny Morrissey 70 mins), Danny Furlong, John Dunleavy (Ian Turner 81'), Dan Murray, Daryl Horgan (Adam Rundle 81').

Subs: Ian Turner, Darren Dennehy, Denis Behan, Adam Rundle, Danny Morrissey, Kevin Burns, Garry Buckley.

Derry City: Gerard Doherty, Barry Molloy (C), Ruaidhri Higgins, Marc Griffin, Rory Patterson, Ryan McBride, Michael Rafter (Ryan Curran 68 mins), Sean Houston, Simon Madden, Thomas Crawley, Michael Duffy.

Subs: James Gallagher, Ryan Curran, Tony McNamee, Conor Barr, Conall Kelly, Dermot McCaffrey.