Wexford Youths claimed a historic victory as they shocked Cork City to reach a League Cup final meeting with Derry City after a fine display at Turners Cross.

First Division Wexford scored the crucial goal mid-way through the first-half when a Conor Sinnott pass fell to Paul Murphy, who shot to the Cork net from 15 yards.

Before that strike the home-side had missed a penalty on eight minutes when Denis Behan's spot kick struck a post, but Mick Wallace's young side worked hard and defended well to reach the final.

Cork, who last won the League Cup in 1998 when they defeated Shamrock Rovers 1-0 in Turners Cross, had a full squad to select from as manager Alan Matthews, who led Longford to success in the competition, hoped to reach the decider once again.

Wexford were missing four squad members including captain Anthony Russell who was suspended, but they came to Cork on the back of an away win at Monaghan on Friday night.

Cork should have taken the lead after eight minutes. Striker Lawrie Dudfield was brought down in the penalty area by Wexford full-back Paul Rossiter and referee Derek Tomney pointed to the spot and booked the defender.

However Denis Behan, who scored a penalty against Bray on Friday night, sent his effort against the left post and back into play.

Wexford then delighted their travelling supporters when they took the lead after 24 minutes.

Midfielder Conor Sinnott sent a fine through ball in behind the home defence, and when it fell into the path of Paul Murphy he thumped a low 15-yard shot past the diving Michael Devine in the Cork goal.

With Mick Wallace's side revelling on the good surface with some fine football on the break, they still had a number of close calls as Cork were on top and created many chances before half-time.

Liam Kearney set up Behan, who this time sent a shot flying off the right hand post, and just on the half-time whistle City midfielder Cillian Lordan had a shot which was blocked by Wexford goalkeeper Pa Doyle.

Cork continued to press and Behan had a header knocked off the line by a Wexford defender ten minutes into the second-half. Wexford's Patsy Malone then stopped a Liam Kearney effort from entering the net with a great clearance, after his goalkeeper was beaten.

But despite all Cork's domination the Wexford players celebrated with their fans at the full-time whistle as they now look forward to a final meeting with the competitions specialists Derry City.

Cork City: Devine; Horgan, Murray, Sullivan, Danny Murphy; Lordan, Gamble, Healy, Kearney; Behan, Dudfield.
Substitutes;O'Flynn for Lordan 64 mins,Darren Murphy for Dudfield 88,Ryan for Kearney 82,Kelly,McNulty.

Wexford Youths: Doyle; Kearney, Rossiter, Wallace, Rossiter, Conor Wallace, Flynn-O'Connor, Sinnott, Gavin Doyle, Malone, Furlong, Paul Murphy, Fitzgerald.
Substitutes: Shaun Murphy,Aust,Kelly for Fitzgerald 88,Wadding for Murphy 81,Gareth Wallace for
G Doyle 81.

Referee: Derek Tomney(Dublin).