Premier Division Cork City booked their place in the third round of the FAI Ford Cup with a comfortable rather than convincing win over First Division Shelbourne.

The only goal of the game came after seven minutes when Roy O'Donovan won and converted a penalty. The Cork striker dusted himself down and drilled his shot straight down the middle as James Hussey dived to his right.

Shels battled bravely but failed to create any clear cut chances against a Cork defence that never looked in danger of conceding.

Former Shelbourne manager Pat 'Nutsy' Fenlon was among the spectators and he must have been impressed with the hardworking crew his successor Dermot Keely has put together in the wake of Shels' demotion.

One of the players that was involved in the mass exodus from Tolka Park at the end of last season was Liam Kearney, and the Cork winger was roundly booed by the home supporters whenever he touched the ball.

The first chance of the game fell to Mark Leech after five minutes but the Shelbourne striker fired his shot straight at Michael Devine in the Cork goal.

Two minutes later the visitors were in front when Conor Rafferty clearly hauled down O'Donovan in the box. Shels could have no complaints about the decision.

The hosts had a decent chance after 19 minutes when a neat cross-field move, involving Leech and James Chambers, ended with Kieran Harte scuffing his shot wide.

Joe Gamble was replaced by Colin O'Brien after half an hour. The dynamic midfielder was walking a tightrope after picking up an early booking and Cork manager Damien Richardson was fed up with Gamble's persistent off-the-ball antics.

The second half was a more disjointed affair than the first. 17 minutes had elapsed after the restart before Kearney tested Hussey with an effort from outside the area that the Shels 'keeper did well to parry to safety.

Three minutes later the Shels faithful were incensed when referee Richie Winter failed to sanction John O'Flynn after the Cork forward threw himself to the ground in an attempt to win his side a spot-kick.

It was just one of many poor decisions by the official, whose refusal to let the game flow infuriated both sets of players at different times during the match.

Shelbourne had plenty of possession in the closing stages, and put some nice passing movements together. However, the Drumcondra outfit never came close to unlocking a Cork rearguard that was expertly marshalled by Dan Murray.

Shelbourne: Hussey, O'Reilly, Rafferty, McEniff, Harte (Doran, 89 mins), A Murphy, Chambers, Lacey, Leech, Walsh.

Cork City: Devine, Horgan, Kelly, Murray, Ryan, Woods, Gamble (O'Brien, 31 mins) D Murphy, Kearney, O'Flynn, O'Donovan.

Referee: Richie Winter.