Gary O’Neill scored twice, the second a late equaliser, as Drogheda came from 2-0 down to somehow salvage a point from Dalymount Park to stay top of the Premier Division table.

Though Robbie Horgan’s side to their credit never lied down, Bohemians, 2-0 up from a Dinny Corcoran brace, were left to rue a host of missed chances to have won and gone top themselves.

With 11 goals from their three competitive games to date this season, Bohemians were brim full of confidence and got at an edgy Drogheda from the off.

Corcoran forced a corner from visiting ’keeper Dave Ryan following a poor back-pass as early as four minutes. And Owen Heary’s side were ahead 10 minutes later.

A magnificent ball, with the outside of his right foot, from Craig Walsh held up perfectly in the wind for the run of Corcoran who shot low to the bottom left corner of Ryan's net for a composed finish.

That lead was doubled just before the half hour. Though a slaloming run into the area by Paddy Kavanagh was halted, the ball broke for Corcoran who was tripped by McGuigan to give away a penalty. Corcoran duly sent Ryan the wrong way from the spot.

Scarcely in it up till then, Drogheda were gifted a route back into the game out of nothing on 35 minutes.

O’Neill chased a hopeless looking long ball over the top, hesitating initially, before realising it wasn’t going to go out.

Dean Delany was then culpable for not realising the danger as O’Neill resumed his run to dink a delightful ball over the Bohemians ‘keeper from a very tight angle.

But Bohemians, and Corcoran, should have had a third in a lightning counterattack a minute before the interval.

Another fine pass from Walsh sent Steven Beattie away to cross for Corcoran who took a touch before his composure deserted him as he blasted wide.

Kavanagh was also guilty of a bad miss seven minutes into the second half when shooting over the top from Kevin Devaney’s pass.

Drogheda remained well in the game, though, and Delany had to bat away a diving header from Eric Foley after Bohemians failed to clear their lines.

Further frantic home defending was required on 86 minutes. Cathal Brady brought a parry save from Delany with Aidan Price then bravely blocking the Drogheda winger’s follow-up.

Seconds later at the other end, substitute Jason Byrne headed straight into the arms of Ryan from Beattie’s cross as Bohemians again failed to stretch their winning margin.

It proved costly as, a minute from time, they failed to clear substitute Gavin Holohan’s corner and O’Neill pounced at the back post to force home the equaliser.

Bohemians: Dean Delany; Derek Pender, Roberto Lopes, Aidan Price, Jack Memery; Steven Beattie, Craig Walsh, Ryan McEvoy, Kevin Devaney; Paddy Kavanagh (Stephen Traynor 66); Dinny Corcoran (Jason Byrne 77).

Drogheda United: Dave Ryan; Michael Daly, Paul Andrews, Alan McNally, Shane Grimes; Ciaran McGuigan; Cathal Brady, Daire Doyle (Stephen Maher 67), Eric Foley (Gavan Holohan 67), Carl Walshe (Declan O'Brien 77); Gary O’Neill.

Referee: Dave McKeon (Dublin).