Cork City notched up a barely deserved 2-1 win against Bray Wanderers thanks to a frantic final few minutes at the Carlisle Grounds.

Shane Duggan’s bizarre winner deep in injury time secured all three points for the visitors.

The clock read 93 minutes when Ian Turner’s shot was deflected back into play by Bray keeper Darren Quigley.

Shane Duggan somehow managed to get his head to it and with Quigley scrambling the ball was deemed to have crossed the line by the assistant referee on the near side.

It was Turner himself who looked to have earned City a single point when he sent Quigley the wrong way from the penalty spot in the 86th minute.

Daryl Kavanagh had sent a ball across the goal and Bray defender David Webster was adjudged to have handled it inside the area.

Turner was calmness personified in slotting home the spot kick.

Even after the equaliser, Dean Zambra could have won it for Bray, but his shot was well saved by Mark McNulty in the 90th minute.

Substitute Ishmail Akinade thought he had won a penalty for Bray when he went down under the challenge of Kalen Spillane one minute into injury time, but the referee wasn’t interested.

The alarm bells should have been ringing for the hosts moments before the winner was scored. Cork sub Danny Morrisey found himself through one-on-one with Quigley, but couldn’t convert, but Duggan’s late effort proved decisive.

Bray had taken the lead in the 25th minute. Eoin Hyland floated a beautiful ball from the right-hand side for Kevin Knight to head home at the back post and Bray were one up.

Wanderers could have doubled their advantage in the 34th minute. Kieran Marty Waters gathered the ball on the right-hand side and was allowed carry the ball infield to the edge of the box, but saw his rasping effort hit the crossbar and go harmlessly over the bar.

Waters was denied by the woodwork again four minutes later. The ball broke to him at the edge of the box and he sent a left-foot curler goalward. McNulty between the Cork sticks was beaten, but the upright saved his blushes.

One-nil was always a precarious lead for Bray and it proved not to be enough even for a single point.

Cork pressed and pressed in the final quarter and somehow managed to win a game which they looked likely to lose for most of the evening.

Bray Wanderers: Darren Quigley, David Webster, Kevin Knight, Gary Dempsey, Jason Byrne (Ishmahil Akinade 84), Kieran Marty Waters (Shane O‘Neill 57) (Daire Doyle 79) , Conor Early, Eoin Hyland, John Mulroy, Dean Zambra, Paul Malone

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Ian Turner, Danny Murphy, Darren Dennehy, Gearoid Morrissey (Danny Morrisey 61), Colin Healy, Shane Duggan, Denis Behan (Daryl Kavanagh 78), John Dunleavy, Kalen Spillane, Daryl Horgan (Adam Rundle 67)

Referee: T Connolly