Limerick FC maintained their unbeaten start to the Airtricity League Premier Division season recording their first win at Thomond Park defeating UCD 3-1.

Three first half goals from Darragh Rainsford (14 and 32 mins) and Dave O'Leary (16) demonstrated Limerick's superiority.

UCD pulled one back in the 70th minute through Gary Burke, but Limerick held on to record a satisfying victory.

Destroyed by Derry City on Friday, it came as no surprise that UCD set out their stall to be solid defensively in the early stages.

In the centre of the park Robbie Creevy, Barry McCabe and Gary Burke tried to play possession as UCD were tidy initially, but then familiar problems came back to haunt them.

The Students were fortunate to survive an eighth minute scare when promising Limerick midfielder Dave O'Leary forced Mark McGinley to make a decent save.

McGinley, though, was unfortunate to be caught out in the 14th minute as Limerick took the lead through a deflected goal.

O'Leary and Craig Curran did the spadework for Darragh Rainsford and the striker's shot spun off a defender and into the net.

The UCD custodian was picking the ball out of the net again two minutes later as O'Leary, producing a polished performance, slammed a long distance effort through a cluster of bodies.

Suddenly all of UCD's passing and probing in the first 10 minutes was merely a memory and Limerick added a third on 32 when Curran's thoughtful assist was smashed home by Rainsford, who could scarcely believe his luck.

UCD didn't seriously test Barry Ryan until the 42nd minute when a Dave McMillan drive was gathered by the veteran Limerick goalkeeper.

An injury to O'Leary on the stroke of half-time was a worry to Taylor, but Stephen Bradley was an able replacement.

Limerick remained in the ascendancy after the restart with Brian O'Callaghan extracting a fine save from McGinley during a burst of pressure.

A 70th minute McMillan pass put Burke away and the ex Bohemians man was cool enough to score even though Ryan advanced to narrow the angle. Limerick were never in serious danger defensively again as they went on to claim all three points.

LIMERICK FC: Ryan; Nzuzi (Kelly, 77), O'Callaghan, Folan, Williams; Tracy (McGann, 71), Gamble, O'Leary (Bradley, 46), Galbraith; Curran, Rainsford.

UCD: McGinley; Matthews, Douglas, Boyle, Langtry; Clarke (Belhout, 8), McCabe (Walsh, 68), Creevy (Kavanagh, 86), Burke, Russell; McMillan.

Referee: A Kelly (Cork).